New Here, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Support' started by bjony, May 4, 2016.

1. bjony

bjony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Hi, I'm new here and I was hoping to get some advice. For anyone that can help, thank you so much. I'm in desperate need of some guidance. I've put a lot of effort into researching and reading the posts here, but I'm still unsure.

My story

I'm a 32 year old male, and this past week is the first time I've noticed tinnitus. It started off as a faint high pitched hissing sound that I could only hear it in quiet rooms. Over the course of a week it has become louder, to the point where I could not sleep last night (most likely due to the fact that I could not stop noticing it, which of course gave me anxiety). There are a few things I think could have caused it:
      1. This past year of my life has been extremely stressful. Interestingly, I went through that entire year without noticing tinnitus. This week has been stressful, but no where near the stress I've been through before. So while I understand stress can cause tinnitus, it seems odd that it would show up now.
      2. Last year I went on mirtazapine for 4 months to help with sleep and anxiety. It worked well. Because I was having difficulty with those things again, my doctor recommended I restart a low dose. Which I did this week. The timing would suggest this might be a cause.
      3. My doctor also wanted me to start on Lexapro for anxiety. I tried it for 2 days (10mg total) and discontinued due to terrible side effects (suicidal thoughts, something I've never had before). My last dose was 3 days before I noticed the tinnitus.
      4. I am currently in Denver on vacation, which is high altitude. I'm wondering if the high elevation might have something to do with it. I didn't notice it right away, it took a few days after I arrived.
      My questions
      1. This might sound silly, but does the simple act of noticing your tinnitus make it a permanent problem? I feel like I've noticed it before in my life but never cared. I'm wondering if by adding anxiety I am making it permanent or worse?
      2. Can stress cause it to get permanently louder? I feel stuck in a cycle, and the thought that stress can continue to raise the volume of course makes me more stressed.
      3. Would it be wise to leave my vacation early and go to a lower altitude? I have a slight suspicion the high altitude might be causing this.
      4. My doctor feels I need something to help with anxiety and wants me to start Zoloft. I've heard bad reports that Zoloft can exacerbate tinnitus. So while I want to try a SSRI, I definitely do not want to turn up the volume of my tinnitus. I have a feeling people here would know better than me.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. I'm confused, I'm not sure what to do (if anything), and could desperately use some help.

2. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      Altitude could definitely be a variable. My T ebbs and flows with spikes and drops of barometric pressure.
      Good question about "noticing" your T. Not to make light for some of us it seems like T becomes utterly impossible to ignore. The building blocks of habituating T are all relative to this.
      Good news for you is that you is this all of this is so recent that you are good candidate for T going away. Maybe even as soon as you leave Denver..
      But a word to the wise - you have recognized a propensity for T so don't be foolish in loud environments etc. Always use hearing protection and don't be stupid with headphones and earbuds..

3. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I feel your pain. sorry your goin through this. I remember when I first got T I freaked out,, I wouldn't be able to tell you where your T is coming from. My only advice is to stay away from meds if possible. You need to talk to a dr about that. Also take car of your ears avoid loud sounds. Try to get some sleep that will help you get through the days. Don't take naps during the day. Hopefully your T will go away. If it doesn't you will learn not to hear it as much. Thinks will get better. Good luck.

4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      If you are stressed and anxious but not depressed I would suggest asking a pharmacist if you can try some kind of small dose of quick dissolve melatonin around 9:00 p.m. and see if that calms you down (don't know if it is okay with Remeron). Ask a pharmacist for the best dose. If you are still anxious, see if you can have a glass of wine in the evening (not sure if you can do that with the Remeron). Go to mynoise.net and see if there is any noise on there that you can listen to to calm you down. If you are still stressed and bothered by it go back to the doctor and tell him. Try your best to calm down about it. If you don't notice it during the day, you will be okay. Your body sounds like it is in the "fight or flight" mode. All kinds of crazy emotions happen then, but don't worry, the cycle can be broken with various means. Exercise can help, getting out with people, and if you need it medication. I have also heard of stress causing temporary hearing loss so maybe you could go to one of those hearing aid places to get your hearing checked. If so, that could be the cause of why you are hearing it. Ask for a pair of hearing aids to put on and see if you still hear the ringing. Just calm down the best you can and don't worry. There are plenty of safety nets for you.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bjony

bjony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Thank you everyone for your responses.

> Altitude could definitely be a variable. My T ebbs and flows with spikes and drops of barometric pressure.

Interesting. Everyone that I've mentioned the higher altitude to seems to think I would have adjusted by now. Would you recommend that I leave my vacation early or will it not matter?

> so don't be foolish in loud environments etc. Always use hearing protection and don't be stupid with headphones and earbuds..

Agree, I definitely won't.

> Hopefully your T will go away. If it doesn't you will learn not to hear it as much. Thinks will get better. Good luck.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

> If you are stressed and anxious but not depressed I would suggest asking a pharmacist if you can try some kind of small dose of quick dissolve melatonin around 9:00 p.m. and see if that calms you down

Thanks for the advice, I'll ask today.

> see if you can have a glass of wine in the evening (not sure if you can do that with the Remeron)

I can, and not a bad idea at all.

> I have also heard of stress causing temporary hearing loss so maybe you could go to one of those hearing aid places to get your hearing checked.

I am tomorrow. I have an appointment to see what they say.

> Just calm down the best you can and don't worry. There are plenty of safety nets for you.

Thank you

6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Welcome to this forum, I am new to this forum but not new to tinnitus.

1. The more you focus on it, the more crazy it can drive you. All of us have different levels of tinnitus and how loud it is. Mine is extremely loud and uncomfortable.

2. Stress can make it louder for sure.

4. In all honesty, those anti-depressants are not good, then can make your tinnitus worst and you can become addicted to them. I know this from experience and it was hard to get off them as well.

best of luck to you :)