New here...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Carrie, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Carrie

Carrie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1997
      Hi everyone,

I just found these boards but have had tinnitus since I was in high school, and am now 34. I do not know what caused it exactly...even as a kid I hated loud music and noises and never listened to a walkman, etc. The only thing I can possibly chalk it up to is that I had chronic ear infections as a teenager.

For most of my life, it never bothered me that much...it was masked by everyday noises and I only noticed it when I was in a really quiet room or right before bed. Fast forward to 2 1/2 years ago, and it suddenly became noticeable above 'everyday' noise and was driving me crazy...I became so depressed that I nearly lost my job and my husband over it...I had numerous medical tests done, including an MRI, and all came back normal and that my hearing was perfectly fine and doctors told me to just 'deal with it'. After doing some research, I became convinced it was a symptom of Lyme disease, which I had been treated for a few months prior. I did another round of doxcycyline, followed by 2 rounds of naturopathic treatment, and after the second dose of naturopathy, I finally noticed an improvement. I also found out 2 weeks later I was pregnant, and it seemed like everything was right in the world finally and I was happy again!

My symptoms have been pretty much under control until just a few days ago...in just one ear I noticed this high pitched whistle-y noise that sort of undulates, and that wasn't there before. I saw the chiropractor today and he said I had a misalignment in my neck, and so I am hoping that is indeed the cause and that there is hope again it can get better. He said it might take some time to dissipate if so. I am trying to be positive but after the last nightmare experience I had it's hard. I honestly hoped I would just die last time it was so debilitating.

That is my story...I look forward to getting to know and sharing support with others who share this same unfortunate affliction!

2. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Hi Carrie. I'm 25 years old and for four weeks ago I had so loud tinnitus that I could hear it standing next to the train. I almost ended up in psychiatric ward, because my doctor was afraid that I was suicidal. I almost went crazy, literally.

Now, four weeks later. My tinnitus is almost gone and it don't bother me much anymore. Sometimes it spikes a little bit, but it goes down again.

Just hang in there, in most people tinnitus will settle to an acceptable level. And then you habituate and get on with life. :)

Try to don't read to much tinnitus horror stories. It's a lot of them at internet. Those stories will only make you more worried, if you get worried and anxious about tinnitus it will often feel louder then it actually is.

Hope you get well soon!

Thomas.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carrie

Carrie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1997
      Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply. I am sorry to hear about how bad your tinnitus was! Do they know what caused it? And what did you do to make it better, if anything?

As I said in my intro, I have lived with it at an 'acceptable' level for years, and I am ok with it at that level, but when it gets bad it just makes me so depressed and lose all motivation to function. My husband says I need to remain positive but it's easy to say if you've never experienced how crazy it can make you!

I know stress only makes it worse so I've been trying to keep as calm as possible and also get more rest. I am willing to try anything!

4. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Hi Carrie,
      Welcome, even though I am a new member here I am not new to T having suffered with it for many years. It has been a blessing to find this site and connect with people who share the same problem. At least the people here understand when no one else does.

I agree with you that stress plays a important part in T. at least on my part that is. I get as much rest as possible and take antidepressants as well. Each of us has to do what works for us.

You will find a wealth of information here and a great place to just to rant about tinnitus. Sometimes just having someone to listen that truly understands what we go thru means a lot.

5. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Yes. I was diving. I had some barotrauma to my ear. But they did not know exactly. One ENT said barotrauma in inner ear, another one said "sudden hearing-loss". Sudden hearing-loss is just something that happen to people random. They don't know what cause it.

I did some changes in my life. I stopped drinking coffee, and I drink much less Coca-Cola. I also started to take magnesium. And I got Sobril from my doctor. Sobril makes you calm and remove anxiety. Loud music is no-go, and I stay away from noisy places. I also have ear plugs with me all the time. I don't if this actually helped, but at least it don't hurt.

I don't know how you can cope when it's bad. I almost went crazy and I hope it never happen again. I guess you just have to be strong, and try to keep the emotions away from the tinnitus. It is possible. There are people out there living happy life's with severe tinnitus. You just have to be strong. Very strong. It all depends on how you react to your tinnitus. Resist nothing.

6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Carrie...since you seem like a person who wants to avoid meds...can I suggest cognitive behavioral therapy? You can find books on it. But it's best done with a psychotherapist, preferably one who has treated tinnitus patients in the past. CBT gives you the tools to redirect your feelings of anxiety and depression. It was a life saver for me.