New Here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gary2020, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Gary2020

Gary2020 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      hi all, I had no idea there was such a large community out there.

I’ve had tinnitus (high pitched tone deap in both ears) for as long as I can remember (45 now)!which as of late has got louder. In addition my hearing is worsening, noticed when people are talking to me. Fogginess of the mind and slight vision blurriness also exists.

In addition I’m feeling more withdrawn with anxiety and depression. I was on Prozac for 15 years and came off it about 2 months ago and there’s not much difference other than I do experience bouts of depressive mood and have been open to suicidal thoughts like what if and how ‍♂️

Of an evening I get by with watching endless movies through headphones and drinking too much. I do work out and eat healthy.

I will register with GP next week and see where this goes and update you all.

Any tips & or similar experiences are most welcome.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi... Welcome ...
      Try not to wear headphone.
      Here in forums says ... it will worsen your tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      What caused your T?
      Have you done an audiogram?

4. John CC
      Pensive

John CC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Phone ring tone directly in my ear/hearing loss 15% l, 25% r
      Hi Gary I am glad you found this forum, it gave me the hope and the support I needed from a lot of different people who are united by one element, tinnitus. There are others on this forum who can speak with much greater knowledge about hearing. Mine can get so loud I hear it over a car engine on the highway, I hear it when I wake up. What gets me through it is the support and wisdom I have received on this forum telling me, after patiently listening to me, as to what was happening to me and what to expect. For me it was that I had some hopeful signs. So far, their advice has been pretty good, and what I needed.

Everyone knows what you are going through, and you are not alone, you have support at this site. There are others who regularly read, support and answer your questions. Just realize that this site is a world wide site, so if people do not respond right away, it is because they may be on another continent. So when you look for responses and your thinking, only 1 reply, give it some time.

As I suspect, you have already been reading the post in the Introduce Yourself and Support sections. They may help you gain some insight to issues and aspects of tinnitus. From what I have started to learn is that loud noise = bad (so at the start listen to your music at a lower volume and movies can be loud so be wary and keep the volume down), head phones = bad, ear protection = good, being aware and not letting your guard down, e.g., going into a loud restaurant or coffee shop without ear protection and thinking it will be ok = not good, realizing and having and believing in your future and hope = good. When you go to bed have some music playing in the background, just enough to match your T to help you sleep. I have found on the internet Tinnitus Sound Therapy music, and for me it helped. I listened to different music, some spoke to me, some didn't. I have it on during the day, and at night I take my laptop into by bedroom and play it overnight (some of the sites go for 8 to 10 hours). Coffee Girl, Bill B., Fishbone, Micheal L., Glnyis, Greg among others who have a lot of good ideas, and more expereience than I do.

Best of luck, I hope this helps.
      John CC