New Here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sponda, Jan 12, 2015.

1. sponda
      Artistic

sponda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2 Head injuries
      Hi... I have been experiencing tinnitus since Oct 2012...after a second head injury (first in 2000)I haven't looked for any treatment or support for tinnitus yet because other symptoms and treatments were more urgent. I have high pitched squealing in both ears constantly. It is very annoying. I attend various sessions at a rehabilitation facility, and it was suggested I find support for tinnitus on line. I appreciate an online group because I find it challenging to get around. I dont have a particular question, I am just exploring at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome sponda. Like you, I have really high pitch shrill in my ears starting a few years back. Mine is a high-energy dog whistle which can cut through many loud sounds. I can hear my T above the raging rapids around me while fishing, and above the sounds of the jet noise in my last 2 flights. In the beginning, it was very annoying. Not just annoying, my T literally turned me in a mess mentally & physically. Worse, severe hyperacusis (H) also hit me soon after T. It turned all normal sounds glassy and piercingly hurtful. So ya, T & H triggered relentless anxiety and panic attacks too for me on auto mode. So it was suffering to the utmost. I had to survive on meds initially. But like you, I found the online support forums so helpful, because there I found people who understand me and it is comforting to know that many survive sever T & H too and are living normal life. It gave me lot of hope back then. It makes the T journey so much better. I hope you will explore the TT site and interact with people who understand what you are going through. Do read up the success stories to give you hope that you can be better too like them over time. God bless.

3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @sponda, welcome! Good to hear some professionals recommending seeking support through online communities. Many doctors and healthcare folks tell their patients to steer clear. But I have to say: Tinnitus Talk (in my opinion, at least) is more helpful and reliable than many other forums I looked at. Nice to have you here.

4. jovionabedofrose
      Stressed

jovionabedofrose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      trauma
      Welcome Sponda! I am so glad I found this site and hopefully you will too. Its a place where people truly understand T and H and everything we deal with daily. I have educated myself with as much knowledge on my condition and learned different methods to help me cope. I have good and bad days still and I hope one day for silence again. Take care

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Did you get a Brain and Ear MRI?
      Can you post results?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sponda
      Artistic

sponda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2 Head injuries
      Yes and yes. They were normal.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      Sorry to hear about your head injury. Similar story here. Did you suffer a concussion? Bad fall?

Did you have a hearing test? more importantly a product otoacoustic emissions test to see what frequencies were injured?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sponda
      Artistic

sponda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2 Head injuries
      Thanks M12... 2 concussions. I had a cycling accident in 2000 - truck door opened in my path and I landed 10 metres away. It took a long time to recover and some things were not the same - but much improved and I had learned how to manage well got back to bike riding as main mode of transport which I love. Then in 2012 I was stopped at a red light (driving a car this time) and was rear ended. Lots of issues since then. Cognitive issues, poor balance (not biking now), neck and back injury are not resolving. Tinnitus is one very annoying issue, but the poor balance is the main issue thing. I'm just getting around to dealing with T. I had extensive hearing/ Ent testing. All were normal. looking up your mentioned frequency test. I live in Canada where we have an amazing health care system so I dont have to pay for this and that test - therefore sometimes take medical care for granted and am not always familiar with all the names of each test. I must remember to be so thankful. Thanks for listening.

9. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      thanks sponda. did the Tinnitus come on during your 1st concussion at all. i know it's very common to have post concussion tinnitus for say 6-12 months.

your balance is without question related to inner ear. or so i think. you likely suffered a cochlear concussion.