New in Town: Tinnitus Has Been Worse Recently

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tinnitus Sucks, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Tinnitus Sucks
      Jaded

Tinnitus Sucks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Hello all,

I've read a lot of threads so far and you guys/gals are amazing. It's inspiring.

Anyways let me start with a backstory. I first noticed tinnitus after a concert in 2011, in which I did not wear any earplugs. My tinnitus is definitely caused by concerts, drumming and playing music too loud, but the concert in 2011 was the straw that broke the camels back. It bothered me at first, but then I realized that I could only hear it in near total silence (bathroom, library, etc). I learned to change a few habits like buying a fan for my room and going to sleep with the TV on, etc. I could still hear it every now and then, but I was pretty much unaffected even thought I could occasionally hear it.

One week ago, I went to the dentist. I hadn't been in two years, so I definitely had more plaque than I usually do, which means the dentist spent more time on cleaning me. My dentist uses a high powered water cleaning technique, which I'm thinking was bad for my ears. I noticed a day or two later that my tinnitus was worse. Not horribly worse, but worse to the point where I can hear it over my fan in my room, I can hear it slightly at work (office setting) and other places that I used to be able to ignore it. It's mainly in my left ear and it is noticeably higher pitched.

Now here is my question: Could the dentist visit have made my tinnitus worse? If so, will this spike in severity last forever? I know tinnitus is probably forever (for now), but the added severity of high frequency in my left ear has made my life more annoying and has shot me into a depression and a general lack of focus. I get mad at people very easily. I have zero patience. I guess that's normal for someone who feels agitated.

The good thing is that I can fall asleep no problem.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

I'm really needing a support network now, so I feel I have come to the right place.

- T

2. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Hello dear:) We're glad to have you on board. It is possible that it is only temporary and even if it isnt it will probably go back by itsself. It could simply be an irritation:) Try to be in the quiet as much as possible (or listen to low levels of music). Also, the next time you visit your dentist you can wear earplugs. Do you still play in a band or did you quit? Do you use earplugs while playing?

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Hello there. Welcome to the forum even though I wish we are exchanging greetings in a happier setting. I am sorry that you are going through a tough time now.

The ringing in my right ear went up after dental work a year back. I never had a problem prior but I think that time it was too much and too long a procedure especially when she filed my tooth. Sadly, the ringing never went down but I have come to accept it after the tears and anxiety.

I read somewhere that wearing earplugs to the dentist might not be a good idea because of bone conduction. Now, it is strictly manual scaling for me.

I hope yours would be a temporary spike. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
    4. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you still drumming as per your photo? Going to concerts? Listening to music too loud with earphones maybe? Your tinnitus sounds like mild version linked to further hearing loss perhaps which is why it got worse and the visit to the dentist was another straw that broke the camels back.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinnitus Sucks
      Jaded

Tinnitus Sucks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Hey guys,

I am not still drumming. Haven't been in a band since 2009, so my pic is an old one. I have been to three concerts in the past year but I also wore earplugs for all three, and was unaffected by all three. I definitely listen to music with headphones, but always quieter than normal.

I went to the ENT on Thursday and had a full hearing test by the audiologist. I have 100% hearing, no fluid in my ear and no ear wax build up.

Basically, I just have tinnitus, plain and simple.

The higher pitch in my left ear is really bothering me though. ARGH!!!

So the only thing that I think could have caused the spike was the dentist visit.

I'm trying to keep my mind occupied, but I'm a person prone to anxiety and I tend to dwell on things. That's not good at all for people with T. I think I'm going to need a lose dose Valium or Xanax prescription.

It's already been a week since the dentist, so I'm thinking its a permanent spike. I'm extremely upset about it.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. Smoogle
      Wishful

Smoogle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Sorry to hear about your spike, friend. Seems a lot of us are going through something similar at the moment.

You might inquire your doctor about a round of Prednisone, since you're only a week in with this spike. Prednisone can have some pretty hefty side effects and can have a big effect on mood (both positive and negative, from what I've read and experienced), but a round of steroids can help alleviate swelling that occurs with noise induced hearing loss which can sometimes help with T. Also, getting plenty of vitamins A, C, E, magnesium (citrate), and zinc wouldn't hurt.

The most predictable thing about T is that it's entirely unpredictable, but I hope yours dies down. My initial onset was noise induced and it improved by 60-70% after several months, so don't count hope out entirely just yet.

Hang in there!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I got Prednisone after I got a major throat infection and it not only made my throat feel normal, it flipped my mood up and I felt great. I can attest to the power of Prednisone!

8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      If you have no hearing loss isnt it possible that you T is stress and anxiety related - a reflextion of stress in the body? the body tends to hold tensions in a lot longer than the mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      No, he had some hearing loss for sure. Maybe very low, unnoticeable, but had. Noise induced tinnitus is always connected with some degree of hearing loss.

10. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I have a dentist realted question: if eraplugs are not allowed then maybe one could still wear those big eardefenders like construction workers?

11. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Hi Stina
      According to this article - http://www.ata.org/sites/ata.org/fi...Makes_Tinnitus_Worse/dental_work_excerpts.pdf - any form of ear protection will not work. The article suggested for drilling in short spurts but my own anxiety said strictly manual scaling. I am not sure if it would be difficult for any dentist to accommodate a request for manual scaling because it is tough work. Thank God my TMJ dentist was understanding.

I am speaking from my own experience. If your T is stable and you do not have H, then I am not sure if dental work would affect you. I am sure there are many people with T who have gone for dental work without problem.

12. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Its true:) Have noticed any differences when the dentist drills your teeth (eg fixes holes)?:)

13. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      The last time the dentist filed my tooth, the ringing in my right ear went up permanently. I have banned any dentist from having free rein over my teeth since then.

14. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      :( Im sorry. A veru shocking reason. Do you knwo what started your T in the 1st place?