New Job, New Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Darkener, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / Possibly wearing ear plugs every night?
      After leaving a previous job due to excessive noise, I found another job, and today is due to be my third day. Already, I think I need to quit as my tinnitus is notably worse.

It's a physically demanding job (to the point where, a couple of times, I experienced head pain) and I have aching muscles at the end of the day. I am wondering if this could be what is making my tinnitus worse? There is music playing in the warehouse area where I work but it is almost just there for background filler - not too loud. And aside from fork lift trucks going back and forth, there is no machinery. So I didn't think volume would be a problem. And yet, my tinnitus has spiked.

Has anyone had any experiences where, after a day of exertion, their tinnitus has temporarily spiked and then settled down? Or once it gets worse is that it? Because this is leaving me desperate.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Most people will tell you most of the time spikes settle. I'm 4 weeks into mine however, but I'm told it could be a while.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's what I mean. I'm wondering if it is a spike or if it has just gotten worse.
      Last time it got worse it was due to infection but there's no sign of that this time.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      @Darkener
      Mine is (usually) Pulsatile and spikes up with physical exertion :eek:
      I am convinced mine is a problem in my neck, that means I am basically listening to my blood flow as a 8000 Hz pulsatile screech....joyful.

All tinnitus is very personal and can be due to many reasons.

I guess if yours doesn't spike when you are chilled-out, and not being physical, then you may have a similar problem.

I also noticed salt and Sugar spike mine...apparently both affect blood pressure and hence maybe level of tinnitus noise?

I hope things settle for you X

5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      If your tinnitus is from Jaw or Neck you should go see an upper cervical chiropractor in your area. I've had 2 visits and my tinnitus has calmed down to the best it's been, while others on this site have gotten tinnitus relief from a upper cervical chiro. I have previously seen 2 regular chiropractors and they did nothing for my tinnitus.

7. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Greg my 3D xray at the upper cervical chiro said something was off on one side 1.6 millimeters and 1.5 millimeters on the other side. What was off my atlas? I can't remember what they said.

8. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Hmm.. as long as I'm not driving a forklift all day, I'm fine. If one drives past me every so often, that's not really an issue... Maybe you're just stressed and anxious about your new job? Could lead to a small spike.. I find that physically exerting myself helps me sleep better at night as I'm just too damn tired to give a damn lol.

I wouldn't rush into quitting just yet. Give it a month, at least, and see how it goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      I have tried both a Chiropractor and an Osteopath...sadly neither could help.
      Although both felt tight muscles behind jaw and under ear might be to blame.
      It's so damn difficult to get to the root of this living hell...
      mine started after a long tooth filling on the left side bottom jaw. My tinnitus is left and central to my head.
      Bad day today but know now that nothing can be done but stay calm and carry on.

10. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      … But have you tried an upper cervical chiropractor (NUCCA), they are different than a chiropractor. Their adjustments are very small and precise, no cracking. More like moving stuff back into place.

11. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Mine is a NIP one...so no cracking ! More flicking. She did upper cervical, neck shoulder and jaw adjustments though.
      Not sure what an Upper Cervical Chiro is as surely this is just one area of many that connect and they adjust ?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you know if headphones can make it worse? Not playing music, but the headphone ear defenders. I use them to dull the noise, although it amplifies my own voice and my bootseps when I walk. Not sure if wearing them can worsen tinnitus. Not even sure I need them in there except for the forklift traffic and the cracking of pallets onto the floor. Oh, and the fan heater at the minute.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How long does a spike in volume of tinnitus usually last. At the moment, every time I get home from work at night, it seems that my tinnitus is noticeably worse. I’n terrified it might be permanent.

But I don’t understand as the workplace isn’t terribly loud (aside from those occasional pallets which people drop on the concrete floor). Surely a change in tinnitus - which includes a distressing hiss in my left ear - suggests damage? There simply can’t have been that much damage in a matter of a few days to warrant this.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It isn’t constant pain, just after exertion. And when I overburdened myself I felt a sharp pain in my head. Like something had broke due to me lifting something too heavy for me.
      Can tinnitus become worse due to straining or neck pain? And could a neck x Ray help to identify a problem?

15. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Hi @Darkener Getting a neck X Ray for some of your mentions would be something to consider. It will only a few minutes and sometimes it can done in the same medical building as to where your general doctor practices.

16. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This "low frequency amplification" problems with ear muffs is why I wear ear plugs instead. You should consider having custom earplugs molded.

17. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Erm, I dont know how long a spike for you would last. Could also be that you're freaking out a bit over this whole thing and is making your tinnitus worse a bit. Maybe relax, wear ear plugs when it gets louder, or take a couple sick days. If you get the weekends off, maybe take a Friday off as well to make it a long weekend?

I doubt that the noise of a heater will do hearing damage...

I drive bus for a living right now.. when I get home my tinnitus is also louder, but usually calms again over night while sleeping.

18. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perhaps do some neck stretches twice a day or so... something like this:

Neck Pain Stretches & Exercises - Ask...

Do you get tension headaches?
      I really think though that you need to calm your mind a bit. It seems that you are very anxious. Ever try a month's worth of mindful meditation?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I meant in general. Would it be normal that if I left the job my tinnitus would calm down after say, a week?

As for the heater, it’s like a ceiling mounted air con unit. A large one for the warehouse so it’s not quiet.

20. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea, maybe a few days.
      Mine usually calms in a few days time. Lots of sleep seems to help also.