New Member, Mike — Constantly Worried About Making My Tinnitus Worse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MikeO123, May 20, 2019.

1. MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey everyone, my name is Mike. I'm new to this forum.

I've had tinnitus for about a year now, I think I may have had it longer but so mild that I didn't even notice it but it's been becoming more noticeable.

A few weeks ago acoustic trauma made it louder and higher pitched. I'm also getting new sounds as well.

I've been trying to be really careful since then but I feel like I keep getting exposed to loud noises. I'm constantly worried about making my tinnitus worse and it seems that whenever I take my ear plugs out there's a really loud noise. I want to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

Today I was out buying earplugs and when I was walking back to my car which was parked right outside the store a truck came in the parking lot and screeched it's breaks and it was super loud and high pitched. I'm worried that this my have caused more damage and I was hoping to get your opinions.

I look forward to being a part of this forum and sharing our experiences with tinnitus.

2. HiDezGuy74

HiDezGuy74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma - metal grinder tool
      @MikeO123 123 What caused your acoustic trauma?

Unfortunately, we will all be exposed to loud noises throughout the day. Almost daily, something will happen at my work, or I'll drop something at home and it'll be really loud (I have hyperacusis, too -- especially when my tinnitus is louder on certain days), but I don't notice random noise exposure making my tinnitus worse. I've just learned to accept that loud noises are going to happen. Your sense of being constantly bombarded by noise might actually be hyperacusis -- you have a higher sensitivity to sound right now.

As you habituate to your new tinnitus level, hopefully you'll feel calmer over time. It's a learning process and a lot of trial and error.

BTW: Wearing earplugs all the time can actually make sensitivity to sounds worse, so try to limit that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You should worry about a past exposure to noise only if it results in a spike that doesn't fade for over a month. Most spikes are temporary spikes. They can last for over three months, but normally begin to fade after at most a month.

It is impossible to not be exposed to noises. All you can do is try to minimize (but not to eliminate!) the exposure. If you do what you can to minimize the exposure, it ought to be enough to avoid permanent increase in tinnitus.

Just before your latest spike, was your tinnitus quieter than it was six months ago?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I agree, you don't want to wear earplugs 24/7. It can become debilitating:

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I went to a wedding and then a few days later I went on a school trip which was very loud. I'm definitely gonna try to limit the use of earplugs. I work in a school and with the bells and the kids screaming it can get pretty loud. That job is only part time though and 3.5 hours a day. I wear my earplugs when I go there but besides those 3.5 hours I don't wear them unless I'm going to someplace I know is gonna be loud. Do you thinking wearing earplugs 3.5 hours a day, 5 days a week is still too much?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah I guess all we can do is try our best. It wasn't quieter before the spike, I would say if anything it was actually louder or maybe I was just paying attention to it more. My tinnitus has always been a hissing sound which is still there but for the last couple days there has been a whistling sound as well. It would come and go on Monday and Tuesday but since last night it's been pretty consistent. This new sound is what I'm most worried about now.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Weddings are the kind of events that can cause new tinnitus tones...
      I wear earplugs every night when I sleep. During road trips I wore them for about 5 hours during the day + the usual 8 hours each night, this had lasted for several weeks and hasn't resulted in any problems. You just don't want it to get debilitating.
      It doesn't sound like you need to worry about it. I think you are doing the right thing when you protect at school. IMO you should have been more careful and stayed away from the school trip and the wedding...

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah looking back I wouldn't have went. Before the events I didn't know much about tinnitus at all. I wish I would've found his forum before I went. My mindset was "it's probably me getting anxious for no reason, let me enjoy these events." Bad idea.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      That amount of earplug use at a noisy school sounds quite reasonable and appropriate to me.