New Member - Musician here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Boots49, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Boots49

Boots49 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Hi,
      New member here.
      I'm a musician, and recently (at 64) got back into playing guitar out in bands. Things can get mighty loud up on a stage and I was ok at first, but a few months ago, a ringing would start in my ears an hour or so after the gig. It can continue on and usually dissipates after a few days. I bought some Musicians Pro ear plugs, and they do lessen (but muddy up) the volume when playing, but I still get the ringing afterwards.
      I hate to think that my only solution is to stop playing out in bands, because I love it!
      Hope to find some good advice here.
      Thanks all!

2. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I've always wonder what are 'Musicians Pro ear plugs' Are the BS or just delay the onset of T. With the DB level is it ever safe? Play 5 minutes walk outside for 15 minutes? What is the deal with 'Musicians Pro ear plugs'?

3. Strictlyt

Strictlyt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000
      Are those earplugs custom made for your ears?

4. timF
      Sporty

timF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      You should have earplugs custom made or else you there might be some leak...

You should be carefull. Tinnitus is annoying as hell.

5. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi boots, I am going to be very honest here. If it were me I would quite right now while your tinnitus is mild. If it gets really bad, well just read some of the posts here, and how it can affect your state of well being. To me it is just not worth it.

I got Tinnitus at 65 right around the time I retired, I am 67 now, and not enjoying retirement the way I should be because of the way my brain is reacting to tinnitus. I would literally give up three fingers on my right hand if it would stop the noise I have had 24/7 for the last two years.

OK, that being said there are many musicians on this site, I am sure they will give you advice on how they handle the noise. The best of luck to you man.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi Boots and welcome,

Obviously stopping is the answer, but I totally understand the want to play.

I wonder if the tone of the guitar, and other instruments, might play a big part here. When you turn up the mid ranges, to increase the perceived volume, you're really ramping up the most damaging frequencies.

The rock sound (presuming that's the style you're playing here) came about because producers needed their record to sound louder on the jukebox than anybody else. So they boosted the frequencies that, even though the top volume was no different, made the record sound louder. This trick is also used now to beat sound meters in areas that have a limiter because of local bylaws.

I can't speak for all bands, but in my experience the majority start loud then gradually turn every knob up to 11 by the end. Dynamics go out the window.

So maybe the answer for you is to make sure your musicians plugs are properly isolating the noise, get the dynamics and quality of the overall band sound right and make sure they stick to it (increasing compression slightly should help with the sound), plus monitor the sound level in the space you are standing with a noise meter to make sure the average maximum volume is being properly attenuated.

Steve

7. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      I would be careful: the fact that the ringing doesn't go until a few days later, not a few hours, suggests that your ears aren't coping well. Definitely buy custom made earplugs - they are expensive but they will protect your hearing better than normal ones.

You have to decide whether you could cope with T full-time, because that very well maybe a possibility. I am not a musician so I can't tell how you feel. If you feel you could not cope with T all the time, then the safest thing to do would be to stop. Alternatively have you thought playing acoustically? I believe that would be better for your ears.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

8. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I play in a loud band and depend on it for part of my living. I wouldn't be doing it if it didn't pay well, but from what my ENT has told me, as long as I use my musicians plugs and exercise as much caution as possible. My T won't get much worse. I know mentally this has been very challenging for me cause I am in your boat. But I know the day will come when I don't do loud gigs any more. I just need to stick with it for now. As far as you're concerned, If you can gig with MAX protection and not play extra long sets...longer then 60 minutes, then you should be fine. How do you think all the famous musicians with T continue to tour and play three hour shows 3-5 times a week?

9. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      lots of sex, drugs and alcohol?

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Good music doesn't have to be loud,,,,,,imo.
      Good musicians don't need to play loud.
      Point the speakers the other way.

Welcome and enjoy your music.

11. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @James Now you tell me. Actually don't go to loud concerts or events:)