New Member: Tinnitus Started After Cold 4 Weeks Ago. Advice?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RamblinMan, Mar 27, 2019.

1. RamblinMan

RamblinMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think a bad cold
      Hello. New member here. I could use some advice.

About 4 weeks ago we had a stressful week in our life due to a move to a new house. It was raining outside and I was unloading a lot of boxes. The next day, had a 102 temp, congested, etc. The valsalva manoeuvre was doing nothing for me. I could not get the ears to pop. Immediately when I woke up on this day, I had a very loud buzzing in my head. I was convinced the new house had problems but ultimately had to admit it was my ear.

I ended up going to a Med Clinic on day 3 and was told I had fluid behind one ear and a respiratory infection. Amoxicillin and Prednisone pack. That helped with the respiratory stuff but did nothing for the ear.

I used a Neti Pot. That brought some relief but when I blew my nose my left ear did a small "hiss" and felt like relief.

Going into week 2, I ended up going to my ENT. He told me my ears looked fine, use Sudafed, don't take any more antibiotics, and he told me my tinnitus was just a coincidence and not related to the cold/congestion. I really like him but find this hard to believe.

So I'm hear at 4 weeks out. The intensity of the noise inside the house has reduced. I also don't hear it as I walk outside the house. Oddly to me, I've only been able to hear this noise at my house when it is quiet. Not at work or elsewhere. No one else hears it, just me, so I don't think it's environmental.

My ENT gave me no advice other than "ignore it" and did no further tests.

I hear this every night or even during the day when it is quiet enough.

I've had perfect hearing in the past, no vertigo, but I still have an off and on odd feeling in the one ear where this noise is coming from. It feels like it is full or somewhat congested. Very odd.

Most of my sinus congestion is gone, if not all of it. I can pop my ears now but the left one still feels unusual (hard to describe).

My tinnitus is a low buzz that is constant, doesn't vary, except I don't hear it when I speak (it stops just for a second then resumes when I stop speaking) and I don't hear it over other people talking. If I stick my finger in my ear, it somewhat muffles the sound. The fluid was behind the right ear according to doc but the left ear is the one I think having the issue.

Mine sounds like a constant truck idling with the window closed nearby is how I would describe it. It doesn't seem in rhythm with my pulse or breathing. The fact it seems to have stopped outside the house seems like a good sign but I've seen no further improvement inside since this started. Some days are actually worse rather than better.

How long does it take the ear to heal from this sort of infection? Will the tinnitus go away? Is 3 to 4 weeks just not long enough? Other advice or feedback based on my specifics?

Sorry for a long post.

Thank you!

2. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hey!

It's hard to say when it might fully go away, everyone recovers differently. I've had a cold after my tinnitus started and it could be spiking for weeks after, even if you don't feel congested, you might still be. It seems that yours are fairly low, which is good! I would try to relax for now, since there is a good chance that it goes over once the cold and infection. If it still persists in a month or two, go and see an ENT again for a check-up (should probably do it anyway to confirm that the fluid is gone etc).

• Like Like x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Get a new ENT.
      You may have middle ear congestion called glue ear and that's blocking sound and causing the ringing. Just stay hydrated and it can alleviate itself.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RamblinMan

RamblinMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think a bad cold
      Hello. Just an update in case anyone has advice or just wanted to hear.

I did go to a new ENT. This one performed a hearing test and told me I had perfect hearing. I feel I do too so that's good.

He told me he thinks my tinnitus is secondary to Eustachian tube disfunction caused by my running ear infection. He said the back of my throat was still red from drainage though my ear itself looked ok overall. I've now had this for 2 months. He wants me to a a neilmed nasal rinse for 3 months followed by Nasacort each night. He said to allow at least 3 weeks for all this to work to calm things down and he thinks the T will go away.

I will admit I am cynical but that's where I'm at with the treatment. I'm in the beginning of week 2 of this protocol.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. martinberryhorse

martinberryhorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 5, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One hard cough
      I've been told the same thing by an allergist and GP although I didn't have an infection and it's more likely allergies and excess mucus/irritation from smoking.

I've found a few anecdotes online with people who recovered from ETD and each person mentioned how it takes 3-6 months for it to calm down with treatment, and once it did the tinnitus went away for them.

Hoping it will be the same case with us.

6. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      @RamblinMan You're the first person I've seen in this forum who has mentioned the valsalva maneuver. I, too, had a cold before my tinnitus. After the cold ended I could feel this dreadful pressure in my ears. I decided to do the valsalva maneuver, unfortunately I exaggerated and blew until I was blue in the face. My ears popped but immediately after I could hear the tinnitus. My ENT says my hearing is totally fine. I was just a little relieved to hear about someone else who had a similar situation. I could be angry with myself for causing my own tinnitus, but that's very contra-productive, so I decided to let it go.

7. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      I do valsalva all the time to pressurize behind... behind... the eardrum. If you are doing this with a cold or infection where your eardrums are already pressurized/puffy from bacteria that is not good, you are over pressurizing it.

Valsalva can be dangerous especially if you do it too forcefully.

For altitude training if someone has trouble adjusting to the pressure the first aid is immediate use of Afrin to open the Eustachian tubes. You need to take enough Afrin and lean your head back so you can taste the horrible taste. It should hit the valve of the tube inside your mouth and open it up. This valve lets air out behind the eardrum much better than it lets air back behind the eardrum... that’s why sometimes we force it with a valsalva.

Please ask your ENT about Afrin.