New Noise Due to Ear Infection After Months with Tinnitus. Chances It Will Be Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cameron C, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Cameron C
      Psychedelic

Cameron C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced (Car Subs/Earbuds)
      I just saw the doctor today for some random very subtle ear pains I was having mainly in my right ear. She told me I had a middle ear infection. I have no idea when it actually started but she told me my eardrum was red and had a bulge at the base.

Prior to the visit though, I noticed that I had gotten a static tv-like sound coming from my right ear (same ear with bulge and more prominent ear pains I was experiencing). Typically my T was just a ringing noise that seemed distant but the static sound kinda just popped up one day I guess and I finally thought it might have been caused by infection. The infection may have started about a month ago (give or take).

But since the new sound is already there, does that mean that it will stay even after the infection is gone? Or is it more common for it to go away when the infection does? I'm scared I found out about my infection too late and its already done permanent damage.

I'm praying I'm just paranoid, but extremely worried due to other people experiences with ear infections and getting T on this forum. Any input is appreciated.

2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      There is no exact way of knowing, but I believe it can go away once the infection is gone. I had a middle ear infection where my T was getting louder by the hour. Eventually I got an appointment and was given antibiotics (amoxicillin) and the ringing started to subside the same day.

Are you taking anything to get rid of the infection?

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cameron C
      Psychedelic

Cameron C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, they started me on a 10 day antibiotic treatmeant (currently waiting on it right now at pharmacy) and they said it should clear it up. But I still wanted to ask you all here to see my possibilities of recovering.

4. Sorien
      Sad

Sorien Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold?
      Something similar happened to me. Last month I got otitis media. One day a pretty loud hissing sound appeared (could hear it in the car and in lecture and with the exhaust on in the bathroom). I also had hearing loss and the hissing got louder whenever some constant sound happened (faucet running, for example). Was given steroids, augmentin, and neomycin drops (also had otitis externa but the doc said it would also help for the om) around two weeks to completely go away.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cameron C
      Psychedelic

Cameron C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok good, do you know how long you had it before getting treated? Im just afraid I got to it too late, since I never realized when it first started for me. I just know mine happened sometime in the months of Jan. or Feb. But knowing ya'll recovered makes me hopeful regardless.

6. Sorien
      Sad

Sorien Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold?
      Well the hissing started on Saturday and I saw the doc on the next Tuesday (wasn't actually for this but I found it out then), so I presume those four days

• Like Like x 1
    7. Paul247

Paul247 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle ear infection
      How did you get on?
      I too have a similar issue due to am infection.