New on Here, Though Tinnitus for 2 Years!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Philippe79, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Philippe79

Philippe79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      Hello my name is Phil, I've had tinnitus in my right ear for over two years now. It is a high pitched continuous whining noise. Whilst the tone is always the same the loudness fluctuates greatly day to day.

As for the cause, and there is a big question mark over this, not so much on my part but the ENT. I don't really no where to start but I'll try!

Back in June/2015, I took a flight to Greece, with a ear full of wax (I could still hear okay and wasn't aware of it). I've always had problems with my eustation tubes when I've flown and they normally take at least 3 hours to clear, sometimes it's even taken a day or two to clear completely.

I knew something was wrong when after 2/3 hours after landing my left ear had started to clear but my right ear felt exactly the same as it did when I had got off the plane. A short time after I had realised my right ear was 100% completely blocked with ear wax. This wouldn't have been helped by the fact I was wearing earplugs on the plane. After a couple of days with no improvement it was obvious the problem wasn't going to go away on it's own and I had to spend the whole week on holiday with a blocked ear. I was dreading the return flight, no doubt this made it even worse.

On arriving back home I had to wait a further two weeks to have my ear cleared, the doctor insisted I used ear drops for two weeks first, even though I was in so much discomfort. The swooshing noises with all the popping was very disturbing and I was in a lot of pain. In the end, finally after 3 weeks I had the ear wax removed (Just to note, this wasn't done by syringing but by a special instrument of some sort).

Even though after having the wax removed, the swooshing noise disappeared altogether but I've now got a high pitched ringing noise which I've got to put up with for the rest of my life. I did a hearing test and I've got slight high frequency hearing loss in my right ear, but it's not actually that much worse than my left ear (ear without the tinnitus!). I did have an MRI scan and that was all clear.

I had a number of appointments with the ENT who basically put it down to my job (working in a factory) and disregarded everything else (I have put here) and said it was a coincidence. In my opinion it wasn't a coincidence but to the ENT it was definitely noise induced. It had been suggested to me that the noise had always been there but now my ear is unblocked I have tuned into it. Could that really be the case? If I can't hear it, surely it's not there!

It sounds silly but I've been umming and ahhing whether to join this forum for the last two years. I always had it in my mind that nothing I did would make a difference and I've just got to lump it. The circumstances in which this noise has come about has been so hard to explain and understand which is why maybe I haven't been able to move on. Tinnitus is such a mystery, I wish I could go back in time to see what my ear was like before getting blocked. Don't get me wrong, I manage this a lot better than I did (after the initial onset) but still have too many low days. I monitor the noise everyday and can't get it out of mind. Even when it's not at it's worst I wonder how long it'll last. I'm hoping that after writing all this (sorry to go on!) and joining this forum , I may be able to move on completely. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm over complicating everything and also about the long introduction!

Many thanks for reading this, if anyone can relate to any of it please let me know. Phil

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Useful Useful x 2
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You have been fortunate to have a doctor who tried to minimize the chance of aggravating your T...

• Like Like x 1
    3. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Find another ENT, seriously, if your ENT ignores what you are saying, get a new one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Philippe79

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      You are right, i also didn't mean to sound like I was being critical of the doctor, I just wanted my ear cleared that badly. When she did unblock it (and this is no exaggeration) she said it was the most wax she'd ever had to unblock. The only trouble is, this whining noise that I was hearing became more apparent after she'd removed it and noises that weren't even loud were making it worse. I was gutted!

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Philippe79

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      True I could have done. But I couldn't see it making any difference. I was offered an MRI scan (came back okay), but then it was just a case of 'it's not life threatening (no tumor), get on with it' My confidence was knocked.

6. Kolisar
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      You still can switch doctors. The ENT should not ignore what you are feeling or experiencing. You are the only person who knows exactly what you are experiencing, and tinnitus is all about what you experience because it is not measurable like blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.. So, the doctor really needs to listen to you and your needs.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Philippe79

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      Thanks for the advice.. I may be a defeatist or a pessimist as far as an ENT is concerned but I am also a realist. I have accepted my fate (the fact that the noise will never go away completely). Going back to the ENT at this stage would be counter productive. Anyway it's been over 2 years and I have confirmed high frequency hearing loss. They say (forgive me if I'm wrong) that once it goes over 6 months (or certainly a year), it becomes permanent/chronic . I accept nothing can be done to get rid of the noise completely (this has been part of my habituation), though maybe things can be done to limit it's affect (better diet etc). The noise has faded more into the background. Sometimes I just need a bit of emotional support and understanding. As you said it's not measurable like other things you mentioned and that doesn't help when it comes to understanding because there is no evidence to support my torment. Though it is a lot better than it was.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Kolisar
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I am glad that it is getting better.

9. bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS
      Buzzed

bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      soundwaves, transformers, vibrations, sirens, decibels, life
      Hello Phil, may your journey through the lands of tinnitus be filled with heroes, horses, fortresses, knights, secret passageways and untold treasure o_O ...I find it interesting that Eric Clapton said his tinnitus has gotten better...his ears must've gotten pummeled over the years. From a website: https://connecthearing.ca/articles/...-hard-rocked-hard-and-is-now-hard-of-hearing/ ~He says, “I started using Fender Deluxe Reverb amps and 50-watt Marshalls around '97, after I started having some problems with tinnitus. (so he had louder amps prior to those ones, the article touches on that) It was my own doing — being irresponsible and thinking I was invincible ... Yes, though it has been better lately. Take care and wear plugs.” ...I don't know what to make of it but perhaps things sometimes get better.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Philippe79

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      Hello bsidequietwaters

Thanks for the advice and the link. You're so right in what you say, and I have found out the hard way! I think I've been in denial, if I'm completely honest with myself, I know I haven't looked after my ears as well as I should have done in the past. Maybe there were other factors too, who knows (as i waffled on about in an earlier post, though I do stand by the comment that tinnitus is such a mystery!), but the bottom line is, I haven't looked after my ears as well as I should have done. I do feel now though, I have finally let go. I have stopped trying to figure it out. How it is now, is how it will stay. The key to habituation (imo) is acceptance and things will slowly improve. Things have got better.. that's not to say there aren't any bad days, the slightest bit of stress and I can actually hear the volume going up as I'm thinking (or should I say over thinking!). And when I'm tired it can go through the roof. Sometimes it can be bad for no reason but there are more good days now and when it is bad I can deal with it a lot better. I'll always wear earplugs now. The only trouble is, it locks me into the tinnitus. But that's better than the alternative!

11. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My “T” problem has been for three and a half years....I understand that I have it for life....and I’m trying to find a better way of coping....I would love to feel that I am standing on safe ground...but I’m not there.
      I get terribly low, as you do.
      I have no religious conviction, never have had, but would love to think things could improve for me, for you, and for everybody. x

• Like Like x 1
    12. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      “...trouble is, I am also a realist.....” - you say.
      Absolutely my own mindset.
      I have no interest in fairy stories.
      If we can not accept ‘reality’ then we are doomed anyway.
      Religion has never appealed to me for the same reason. Try praying for help with your Tinnitus, and see what happens.
      I’ve got more respect for the tooth fairy.
      She gave me two bob once.
      (The next time she forgot though.)
      I am currently reading JCH’s book,
      “T - from a Tyrant to a Friend.’
      I do have reservations about it, but will let you know how I get on.
      Best,
      Jazzer

• Friendly Friendly x 1