New Place!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SueR, Jul 31, 2014.

1. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      well....... I just might have found a new place to live! I checked out a place not far from my office (impt for when fatigue from Meniere's is doing me in...right now my commute is 45 min one way!)

The prices in this area are ridiculously high, IMO. But, proximity to work is important, so biting the bullet on the cost.

A place I liked was at the higher range of what I was looking at, and it just went down $100. I've asked to take ONE more look at it.

It's a nice neighborhood, cute townhouse/quadruplex (just made that up! it's like a duplex but there are 4 units!) Two levels of living... LR and EIK on first level (w/laundry & a half bath), and 2 BR and full Ba upstairs. Basement storage accessed from outside the building, secured by a lock.

I know they'd like to rent it out ASAP, but I'm hoping for a 10/1 move-in date. Keep your fingers crossed for me that nobody else will take it! :)

New life, new me.(y)

OH! and they allow pets! [there's a smiley for a cat but no dog??! whatcha got against pooches?? lol]

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      The folks at TT are very sweet... :puppykisses:

3. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Sue glad you've found somewhere,hope this will be a corner change,sounds a nice place.Your dogs not a puppy,so can't see why your dog would be a problem .How long will your travel time be cut down to?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      from 45 min. down to 11 min. ;)

lots of places around here don't allow dogs. I guess it's due to how close your neighbors are and they are concerned about noise as well as destruction of their house (cats clawing, bringing in fleas, what have you).

He's 9 years old, and does bark sometimes, but isn't a nuisance barker and he's not an outdoors dog... we do live in New England... not many dogs like our winters or our summers.

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      That's great, Sue!

Did you say you live in the greater Boston area? I've been there before, and know there is a lot of traffic; it would be great if you could shorten your commute!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Yes I live out on the 495 belt. This place is just inside the 95 belt. West of Boston.

• Like Like x 1
    7. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Is Meniere's a challenge during your commute? Do you have a difficult time with vertigo? I once had a tear in my inner left ear that no local ENT knew existed, so I received no help and lived with the most intense vertigo imaginable. It was more like depersonalization. I couldn't recall the last block I passed as I drove by.

Then, a woman out of the blue online suggested I visit Dr. James Atkins in Celebration, FL. He did exploratory surgery and discovered the tear in my inner ear and repaired it. That was the miracle I longed for for three years. My life became a bit more normal.

Do you also have that I-know-I'm-here-but-I-feel-more-like-I'm-in-a-movie feeling? Whether you do or not, it is good to think you may have found a new home for yourself. The shorter the travel time, the better the chances of getting to work in one piece.

I pray things come together for you, Sue. To double your chances, my fingers are also crossed.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      The fatigue is bad when I'm in the middle of symptoms but so far, just light-headedness, no V. I'm early on, so not sure if it'll get worse or not. I'm thinking yes, since it's progressive. :\

By chance was it superior canal dehiscence? I have that (bilateral, more in left ear), but not symptomatic.

9. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Yippee Sue. Congrats!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Not a done deal yet. I'm hoping the timing will be right!

11. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hey SueR , good luck to you! , keeping my fingers crossed! Take care!

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      What I had been dealing with was the cause of barotrauma (no release of pressure) while flying from Tampa to Phoenix, AZ. Not realizing I have ETD or Eustachian tube dysfunction, I failed to take a strong decongestant prior to the flight and so my sinuses were unable to work properly to rid me of the pressure build up inside my ears from the altitude. As we lowered, there was no decompression within my ears.

Had I had, as I do now, tubes in my ears -- or at least one -- the decompression would have happened without a hitch; instead, the failure to release pressure caused damage to my inner ear, a tiny tear that was not discovered for three long, agonizing years. The feeling after that incident made me feel like sheer madness had hit me instantaneously.

I had no clue what had taken place, and neither did the VA doctors when I was immediately rushed to them after our bus dropped us off at a resort in Prescott, where I was to perform on stage in the Creative Arts Festival, in another week.

The trio with whom I was the bassist was in competition with the remaining contestants from among 1200 originals entries. Wonder of wonders, we took first place, despite my intense vertigo, can you believe it? During the performance, I was on about five or six meds the VA had prescribed for me to assist with balance and other things.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I am glad you found a way to shorten your commute. A duplex seems great. In my neck of the woods they cost thousands of euros per month to rent. I am surprised, i thought Boston was an expensive city. My city is so congested it is not uncommon to do two hours commutes in the traffic jams. I have a friend who sometimes has to come here for work and has to do a three hours commute. Yep, he wakes up at 5 AM these days.

EDIT: By the way, have you glanced at the otonomy ménière study in the research thread ?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I haven't looked at that, but will.

yes, the cost here is ridiculously expensive, IMO. If you look at what is available within 128/95 belt, a 2 bedroom place about 1000SF is $1800 for a run-down place, up to $2300 for a nice place in a nice neighborhood. (that'd cover about 80% of them or so). BUT, if you look at the availability outside of 128/95 belt, there's nothing for less until you get out near the 495 belt.... which is where I am now. I can't afford anything in Weston, Lincoln, Wayland, Lexington. There's stuff in Burlington, but then I'd have to deal with the highway traffic on 128 (aka "the parking lot" during commute time).

The commute is very important to me. It has to be... I am choking on the cost, but it's either choke on the cost or deaal with 45 min drive.

oh, and another positive... my son will be staying with me, when he's not in college. He cannot drive (he's legally blind). My current town does not have public transportation. The Ride (para-transit service) doesn't come to my town. The place I'm moving to has two train stops and has The Ride.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      @daedalus , I can't find the thread you are referring to. Can you tag me in the thread? or c/p the thread link here?

16. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I sent you a PM

:)

17. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      What I had been dealing with was the cause of barotrauma (no release of pressure) while flying from Tampa to Phoenix, AZ. Not realizing I have ETD or Eustachian tube dysfunction, I failed to take a strong decongestant prior to the flight and so my sinuses were unable to work properly to rid me of the pressure build up inside my ears from the altitude. As we lowered, there was no decompression within my ears.

@UserID: This is exactly how I got tinnitus on a transatlantic flight in May 2013. Thank god I didnt get the vertigo to go with it.

Congrats on cutting down your commute, @SueR! I just got back from my Northeast vacation, which started in Boston. What traffic.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      not a done deal yet, but soon! and yes, the traffic is horrendous. Luckily, I don't work in Boston... I work in Waltham, so that is better. and I take no major routes home. But, it's a lotta miles through towns. Stop signs and lights, and 20mph zones... and lots of other cars doing the same. (but not the jams like Boston)

Went to the State House today with my son (a special event), even though I've been battling a headache since yesterday (yes, another headache!) and took public transportation. Easy peasy!

btw, the Ear Peace came in handy!

19. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Stop by the Watch City Brewery for me...

• Agree Agree x 1