New Stem Cell Transplantation Method Restores Damaged Auditory Pathways

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Penate, Oct 21, 2015.

1. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      You get constant vertigo on top of that. But i'm not sure if H is often present in Meniere

2. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016

Cured?? explain more!!!
      didnt you had orthokine?
      i think my tinnitus comes from an endolymphatic nature.
      thats what my doctor told me, im not sure anymore.
      but food as a big impact on my t.

3. GH123

GH123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont know? Maybe loud headphones over ear? Not sure
    4. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This question is being asked repeatedly over the past few weeks. We still don't know and no one can give you any certainties or even deny it. All I know is that things look promising and there are good signs that there's progress being made.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Live with it, and if you come across a way of treating it, consider that a bonus. There will be multiple breakthroughs before the condition is dealt with entirely. I won't be surprised if doctors devise better ways of preventing hearing damage and tinnitus along with coming up with long term solutions to the condition... because it's not feasible to prevent it for everyone. There's going to be a number of medical groups with their own strategies. Some medical groups will offer full inner-ear restoration eventually. The cause of tinnitus can be so different. Some people may have hearing damage + tinnitus, but the tinnitus could be reduced with a diet change, that they aren't even aware is possible. For others, they may have taken a drug that damaged the ear, and some medical group will have a solution for that kind of damage. Some of us could have it from random luck and not know how it happened, and yet have markers that indicate what it is, which would let a doctor identify a solution. Assuming society doesn't just turn up and explode, this is the future we have to look forward to.

So don't bother putting a timeframe on science claiming tinnitus is a solved problem. That will literally never happen. When it is a solved problem, it will be such an insignificant deal no one will even rejoice because society will be beyond it as an issue. Just keep up with the research. If you want to try some things to fix it, assuming you're in a free country, go ahead.

6. Stakovic

Stakovic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    7. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

8. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      As other have said, the biggest problem is isolating the many different ways that people can get T. PT can be cured if they find what's causing it. For regular T it's generally damage to ears/DCN or CNS. Once they can isolate it it gets much easier to treat. The trick with stem cells is they require the right biomatrix in order to instruct them. You can't just take a shot of stem cells and they'll just float around repairing damage. Heh, it would be nice if they did, but not. However, biomatrixes are complex but not insurmountable. Case in point, Tufts University has been regrowing lost teeth in pigs for a few years now. They've finally created a biomatrix they feel will work in humans, and estimate that it'll be commercially available within the next decade. Wow, no more dental implants, just regrowing lost teeth.

Science itself keeps progressing faster on a daily basis. And as more people and money are being thrown at all the myriad problems out there it's simply a matter of time. Don't kid yourself there's a ton of money and people working on T cures. It's something that affects 10-20% of humanity to varying degrees so there's a ton of money out there just waiting for whoever can find a way(s) to "cure" it. I believe we'll see some massive strides and good results on it to that end over the next decade. Even if there isn't a cure per se I believe there will be much better treatment options that will be almost as good as a cure until one is found.

• Like Like x 3
    10. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have believed that for years. I think that it's a much more realistic expectation to have than to hope for a complete cure. Effective treatments that can reduce the severity of T will improve the quality of life and bring great relief to many. If a person has loud or severe T and they can bring it down to a moderate or low level, that would be good enough, I think, for many of us.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    11. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Jim H yes absolutely. And these things are already available like prednisone for a lot of people and trobalt for a lot of others. It’s unfortunate that these are both not medications that are suitable for long term use. But they are already out there.

12. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      That's it right there. Yesterday and today have been kind of bad for me, but it makes me more annoyed now than stressed, yet I seem to be having longer periods of good days now. Last several days before these were super quiet and nice. The only aggravating thing is then you start thinking, 'Wow, maybe it's finally going away!' then you rebound with a bad day and it's like getting a kick in the nads. :) But yeah, even if there's never a cure, and they will cure it, even a partial cure where you could take ABC pill and/or use XYZ device on a bad day to get it down to next to nothing would be all most anyone with more severe T would need!

• Like Like x 2
    13. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      The neuro doctors that I have seen or talked to, believe that only a drug to rewire the brain will ready help the masses with tinnitus. They feel from studies of this year on the exact areas of the brain responsible for tinnitus, that a drug development will be coming.

I guess neuro scientists would believe that rewriting and remapping is the best solution. I be happy with any new successful treatments, even if they just lower my T a few points.

I said to one neuro, drugs available now wear down and there's study talk that some with longer term use can increase the noise. So why would this be any different with a rewriting mapping drug. He said the best we can do is try, but we must get major world government funding and involvement from the big drug companies.

Keep sending awareness letters to the politicians. I'm in the process of sending a form letter to hundreds of them in the States.

• Like Like x 4
    14. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @jer I did a mailing several years ago after my first onset of tinnitus. This time I'm changing my wording as I made mistakes with the past letters. I only heard back from one politician from those first mailings and he referred to what I had written.

I had said that tinnitus is a condition - first mistake. I said that my tinnitus had dropped from being very severe to moderate severe, but I had somewhat habituated - second mistake.

In his response, he said that many claim that they are able to habituate. He also said that most don't have severe tinnitus. He pointed out that he has come across several citizens in his State that have mild tinnitus like most do and are able to hold jobs.

I need to get across in new mailings that those with severe tinnitus, as I have now, can't habituate. If they think that all or most with tinnitus can habituate, then NEVER will there be the billions or even millions for tinnitus research. In the USA, try proving that you have very severe tinnitus to get SDI - disability. It's not happening unless you were in the military and had a bomb blow up next to your ears and became deaf.

@jer You could just send out a few letter to your elected officials and say - I have severe tinnitus. For those of us that do, we need help. We need government funding for research.

My tinnitus was just severe today, so I functioned the best that I could. Now it's going to a very severe level. I will be in survival mode for the rest of my night which probably means no sleep.

I thank the tinnitus staff for all that they are doing with awareness. @Markku @Steve

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Gene therapy and stem cells are the most likely fix IMO. There are simply too many genetic variables for a cure-all drug. Just look at these forums, for ever person who asks a question about a drug you get half saying it's really helped and other saying it really hurt. Same thing with any other drug out there. Hit up WebMD and enter any drug you like and look at the reviews. Some cursing it as pure evil and for others it's a godsend. Basically they just need to find a way to reset the DCN and/or find a way to control/modulate the aspects of it that cause T. A drug could certainly do that, but I have zero idea if it could do it well enough to reset/change it in the way GT/SC could. I'm sure someone much smarter than us will figure it out sooner than later. :)

• Agree Agree x 1