New Sufferer of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dohake, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dohake

dohake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello Everyone,

I have woken up this morning with tinnitus and I have absolutely no clue how it occurred/started. I woke up and experienced a ringing in only my left ear which is continuing to this moment. There is no pain and discomfort from this issue, just the annoying sound coming from my left ear.

A few months ago, my doctor said I had TMJ & from what I have been reading - this can some way cause the problem. She gave me some excersizes to treat the issue but I never had a chance to perform them.

So I just wanted to know if there are any ways I can treat this problem until I meet with the Doctor once more.

Thank you in advance!

2. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      TMJ is a known cause because where the jaw connects is so close to the ear..

I'm not sure how it all comes together, but a few people have tmj tinnitus.

I actually have jaw issues also. Although I haven't had any clicks or out of placements in over 6 months.

It's quiet unfortunate. But maybe those excersizes could help? I was given some, but never got sround it it as I didn't feel mine was happening too much.

Sorry I can't offer any advice, best to see a GP ASAP. Unfortunately if it was acoustic trauma or something I'd say get to ENT and try steroids but I'm all out for TMJ Induced.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Yes TMJ is a common cause of T for those who have that problem. Perhaps search this forum on TMJ to read up the discussions to learn from others. You may want to do those exercises if they can help your TMJ and your T. Besides TMJ, there are many other causes which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including drug reaction or side-effects, ear or Eustachian tube infection, ear drum injury, fluid build-up feeling pressured, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma, neck muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's, barotrauma from flight, grief for the loss of love ones, untreated sleep apnea, elevated stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc.

Whatever the cause, we need to do something to help the brain to not get so freaked out before we find the solution of the root cause. When tinnitus is new or at a new irritating level, and the ringing is causing much anxiety and panic, it is advisable to get masking going so you won’t be so anxious and fearful. Stress and anxiety are toxic to T. So try masking if you haven’t done so. When my T was new, I used to mask all day just to prevent panic attacks from hearing my ultra high pitch loud dog whistle T. Try these if you haven't yet. Take good care. God bless.

1) Mask at bed time so you can sleep better. Find whatever sounds/music that are soothing to you. You can use a sound machine or sound pillow for this, or a computer with speakers.

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune. If you have a smart phone, you can download free APPs for soothing or T-masking sounds.

3) If you have computer and speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds too:

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: http://mynoise.net/

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

• Like Like x 1