New Sufferer, self inflicted!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Shuffle, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Shuffle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Hello All,

I've been suffering with T for about a week now, and it looks like I'm stuck with it. I've suffered mildly with it for years, primarily from working on tractors as a teenager I think. I'm now 25 btw. It's normally just gone away after a while. By the time I hit my 20s it finally hit me that it probably wasn't a good thing that my ears rang at the same pitch as the gearbox for a day or so and I started wearing plugs. I also started going to rock concerts again. Initially, I went without plugs and suffered for a day or two after, but this year I finally bought some proper musicians plugs. Brilliant they are, don't killthe sound and I felt fine the next day. Brilliant. Then, being the berk I am, I forgot them for a gig last Monday. Was pretty bad after, then it subsided after a couple of days. Now it's got worse again and my inner ear feels really full. I think I need to go to the doctor, but I've put it off as I'm just expecting them to tell me I'm stuck with it for life. I can cover it with music or the radio, so it's not so bad, it's just frustrating. I'm pretty annoyed with myself tbh, I have all the protection, I just forgot it. The more I think about it and listen for it the worse it gets. I didn't "hear" it at all yesterday. Ho Hum.

Shuffle

2. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Welcome to our forums Shuffle

I would not delay a visit to your doctor if I were you. Don't let him say "you have to live with it". You should have a hearing test done. There are options for you but you need to act quick.

You should take magnesium and B6+B12 vitamins. I don't remember now, it was either Erik or Karl (thank you) who have found a study that those supplements are beneficial in case of noise trauma.

Many people disagree with me with this one, but I think it would be best if you were treated for noise trauma with prednisone. This is a "standard" treatment in my country and it has helped many when administered quick.

Finally, this would be a heavy weaponry, but if you'd really like to get rid of it, take a look if there is maybe a recrutation for AM-101 study or some other medical trial around your place. AM-101 is an experimental drug for tinnitus and it has helped me personally.

One way or another, stay strong and don't let it overwhelm you.

Coughing Fish

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Having been bugged by the Mrs about going to the Doc too, I think I'll have to go! Booked in tomorrow. Hopefully he can improve things. It feels marginally better tonight, in terms of pain, but the ringing is worse so I suppose swings and roundabouts. Spoke to my parents as well and apparently my Mother suffers all the time, due to ear wax build up, so maybe that might help me a little. Currently feels like I need to "pop" my ears to equalise the pressure but I can't!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I think these two are valid things to do.

But, why would someone disagree with you on the prednisone treatment? IIRC there have been studies that show the effectiveness of prednisone when administered right after the onset of tinnitus. I need to freshen up my memory and look up some studies when I have time. I think prednisone is usually attributed to sudden sensorineural hearing loss: isn't prednisone standard treatment for that? But still, I'm pretty sure it can in some cases help tinnitus appearing on its own, if administered within hours/few days.

I've been thinking (and it's actually in the works, but due to time constraints on the backburner) a section/thread for people who've just been struck with tinnitus with tips what they should do ASAP. e.g. start magnesium/b6+12+have prednisone treatment, and something else if there is, maybe HBOT.

Because I think there might be chronic tinnitus cases that could have been helped (at least to some level) if proper treatment was given immediately after onset. And we want to avoid anyone having to cope with tinnitus for the rest of their lives.

Welcome to the forums, Shuffle!

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Just got back from the Doc, it's Tinitus, obviously. He thinks it is partly noise trauma too, no more gigs for me! He said my ears are solid with wax though, so the first thing he's suggested doing is softening it with oil and syringing. That, he said, helps alot of folk.

In other news, noted an improvement this morning, my right ear has pretty much stopped ringing, it's my left only now. Have got some mag and B Vits to take too, started on them today. We'll see what changes.

6. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Well Markku, right in the beginning when my tinnitus started I also used to visit the other popular forums and one of regular users there (a certified doctor) said prednisone does not work. Who am I to argue with a doctor. I was almost administered prednisone myself though when I visited ER and I got to know one person who had their noise-induced tinnitus go away after prednisone treatment.

Anyway, I am glad to hear you are improving, Shuffle! I can see you don't lose your head about it too, this is very good. Being overly emotional about it can exacerbate this condition greatly. I think you have a good chance for recovery. Be careful with loud gigs though! Always have earplugs with you, I carry some on my key chain just in case. You never know when you might need them!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      What's the point in getting worked up? It's self inflicted, it'll either go it wont. I can understand it driving people mad, it does me at times, but I've got plenty of other things to worry about. Mine is about the same sound as an old CRT TV used to make when it was on, and only in one ear now. I'm hoping as it's gone down in one ear there's a chance it will subside in the other, especially with the suppliments going in. Time will tell. The pod my plugs are in does have a hole in the corner, I notice, they're going straight on the chain now!

8. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      shuffle

i agree with all the advice given above

i would only add... n-acetylcysteine also known as (NAC)

the sooner the better after noise induced hearing truama

here is a reputable study...skip down to the conclusion first if you want to know the results right away

http://www.noiseandhealth.org/artic...e=55;spage=392;epage=401;aulast=Lindblad#ft18

sorry about the tinnitus...yeah that awful feeling when the injuries are "self inflicted" i know that feeling well

i continue to make mistakes or have accidents...though less and less often

berst of good luck to you
      mock turtle

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Today's update. The pain in the ear is dropping away, which I suppose is good. It was that that was driving me mad rather than the noise itself. I don't notice the noise most of the time tbh, not at all at work. My right ear does seem to have healed fairly well, the only noise I get in there feels like crosstalk from the other ear. The Doc did say my left was solid with wax, and my right wasn't so bad, so I'm hoping when that gets washed out next week things will be a little better.

10. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Yep, when that wax is gone you're going to feel like a new Shuffle.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      I sincerely hope so! I'm using olive oil to soften it atm, when that's in it quells things a little.

12. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      MT - Is NAC only useful against noise if taken before noise exposure?