New Sufferer, Self Inflicted!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Louise, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Markku, this is a must-have. I have so often thought 'I wish I had known' when reading about things on here that are only applicable in the very early stages after noise trauma.
      Joe I think it was made a post too about stuff they do in Japan in the early days after noise exposure. You might want to add steroid injections too. And definitely HBOT, why only a maybe? Its the nbr 1 suggestion of the German T Association if done within the first 3 months.

• Like Like x 1
    2. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Markku, since you have that link semi-public now (by posting it here), why not go ahead and stick it into the main list of forums? Release-early, release-often as we sometimes say in software development. And Kevin Costner said "if you build it they will come". And Bon Scott said "Let There Be Rock", but I don't think that's relevant.
      Anyway...don't let your hard work languish.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      YEEEEHAAA!

Thanks for the support Louise & DezDog!!

Knowledge Base is now live. However, we need to think about what kind of info it should contain & whether anyone can write there or would it better serve as a static information resource which was handled and managed by the staff (and any member could of course take part by suggesting ideas & contribute by writing material, if anyone wants to do that)

Currently anybody can start threads and reply to existing threads on the KB forum.
      But it's my gut feeling it would be best in the future if the bogus "Tinnitus Talk" member (which is run by staff) started all the threads - like it now has. And then maybe let everybody reply to those threads.

Anyway, it feels good to have it on the main page now... We'll see how it starts to blossom...

:ROFL:

PS. Sorry Shuffle for taking your introduction thread a bit off-topic...

4. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Shuffle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      I'll let you guys off, if it brings more help out for others that's all cool. I could do with a forum marked "Remember your Ear Plugs!" Ha. At least I can laugh about it.

Struggled last night. Couldn't hear past it (mentally, really) while watching the telly and then struggled to get to sleep. First time it's bothered me there. Feels very loud this morning, like it's got worse again. I'm just pleased the ear pain seems to have totally gone, it means I can completely ignore it at work.

5. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Well done Markku.

And Im sorry too, Shuffle for the benign hijacking.

> PS. Sorry Shuffle for taking your introduction thread a bit off-topic...

If *only* we had something like mod status or even knew someone who could make a new thread of these hijacky posts...

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Introducing Knowledge Base

I tried moving these few off topic posts from this thread to the above one, but then my own post (being the last one time wise) would be on the bottom and Louise's was the first one. I wasn't able to find a way to stick my post to the top, overriding the sort by time.

That being said, thanks Shuffle for your understanding and now let's continue the Knowledge Base discussion on the above link instead of hijacking Shuffle's thread...

And Shuffle, feeling tinnitus is worse in the mornings is quite normal. Happens to many... not anything to worry about :) Hope you are having a good day.

7. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Suffering today because I can't get it off my mind :(. Some of the frequencies emitted by one of our tractors really aggravated it. Really starting to worry how bad it can get now. Only been with it 10 days or so :(.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I feel for you Shuffle because mine has gotten worse since it started. Twice big time after unintentional 'normal' noise exposure. They tell you not to wear earplugs unless its proper ear-damaging level noise but I think for some people its wise to wear them at lesser noise levels.

9. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      I just don't want to make myself over sensitive, that's my main concern. It's been better this morning, I've been able to loose it in the hubub of life quite easily. I've even been able to convince myself what I hear is silence a couple of times. I'm not sure whether it's the olive oil for the wax or the B Vit and Mag suppliments I'm taking, but it's better this morning.

I think I'm going to keep updating this until I get my ears syringed. Then I'll try and get away from the forum, try and forget the Tinitus and see if that helps.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I think that's a good plan for you Shuffle. I'm glad its getting better for you. Just wear plugs when the noise is loud enough that you have to raise your voice to be heard. That seems to be the rule. Take care.

11. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Re: The Mag and B-Vit suppliments, are these something I should keep taking effectively for life? Will the tinitus get louder without them?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Maybe Mock Turtle or someone could answer this as I'm not very up on it.

13. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Cheers :)

It's been pretty bad the last two days. The "Clack" of a tarpaulin against the side of a wagon has made my rining really noticeable again, all the time! Ho Hum. Never thought something like that would aggrevate it.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I know. Things like flushing a toilet can do it for some people I've heard. Dont want to make you paranoid though.

15. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      I think it's particular frequencies that bother me. Tomorrow is D-Day anyway for syringing. We'll see if it makes it better or worse. Hopeful for better, prepared for worse. The olive oil has made the wax feel like a plug in my ear now!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Well wax build up is up there at the top of the causes for T so its very hopeful for you. Might take a while afterwards for things to settle though. My fingers are crossed for you.

17. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Thanks for the positive vibes, Louise, appreciated :)

18. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Had it done about an hour ago. Felt very light headed after. The nurse said when she looked in my ears "You shouldn't need ear plugs with this lot!". After what felt like an age in each ear, out popped two huge plugs of wax, basically the size of my ear canal! The rining in my left is all but gone. I've gained a very slight ringing in my right, but it's perhaps only 20% of that which I had before in my left, so as far as I am concerned I'm up on the deal, and I was aware this was a risk before I went in. We'll see how it settles down.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I've only just seen this post Shuffle. I was wondering how you had got on with the ear syringing. It sounds excellent. I'm glad you found the cause.

20. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Hello Louise! My left has pretty much fallen silent now, it was amazing. The ringing in my right comes and goes. It wasn't there before so I'm pretty sure it was activated by the syringing. However. It is stable at approx 20-25% of what I had before, and I never notice it, unless I look for it. It's a trade off I am more than happy to have made. I knew the risk!

I have made alot of changes to my life, tho. I carry plugs at work all the time, I've bought a massive dispenser and bolted it to the tool shed wall! No excuses now. I have the disposable plugs stashed everywhere, car, house, jacket pockets etc in case I forget my "proper" plugs. I wore plugs on a night out for the first time last week (The ACS ER20s) and one of the girls I was talking to thought they were piercings, otherwise none of my friends even noticed. I didn't say anything. That result I'm happy with too. I'm just trying not to give it any tiny chance of coming back at all!

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Great news Shuffle. I'm really happy for you. So glad you're taking all the precautions with plugs too. You need to carry on doing that, but you know it. All the best for the future.

22. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      This is indeed great news :) It is very uplifting to read stories about tinnitus resolving. I'm glad for you and it's a good idea to have ear plugs whenever needed! I carry some with me all the time too, 'just in case'.

23. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Cheers Guys :). You could say I've learnt my lesson, and that I'm one of the lucky ones who will get a second chance. Wish you all the best finding a way forward too. I know the hell all too well now :(