New... Thumping Sensation in Ear

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hdun97, May 30, 2016.

1. Hdun97
      Stressed

Hdun97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspected tensor tympani myoclonus
      Hey all, new here but have been researching symptoms a lot so I've read several threads here already! Sorry if this is the wrong place for this message.

My ear problems started back in December 2015 I think, a kind of heavy, deep thumping in my right ear. It's a sensation as well as the sound, and after a lot of googling I believe it is probably tensor tympani spasm, or perhaps the eustachian tube, I don't know... initially it was just the right ear before it seemed to completely switch across to the left only, and this last month it's been happening in both, although thankfully not simultaneously. I've been to countless GPs, ENTs, a dentist, an oral surgeon (who surprisingly seemed to be the most knowledgable and sympathetic, but nevertheless couldn't suggest to me any treatment apart from jaw exercises/reducing stress), and a hearing therapist, who was absolutely useless. It's getting to the point where it's happening almost every day and I just can't cope with it at all. Once it starts it's generally non-stop for the next 12-24 hours, and there's nothing I can do to interrupt it. I often end up having panic attacks, and feel as if I'm totally spaced out from reality. My whole mood is just going downhill and as yet the best I've got out of medical professionals is that I need to reduce stress and essentially 'just ignore it', which is nearly impossible.

Although my right ear in particular does seem to start thumping of its own accord, what I've noticed is that usually burping, stretching or yawning triggers it. I think I have some sort of reflux problem, as I often have the feeling of a lump in my throat which I can't clear, or pain in my chest, and this often makes me do these weird 'internal hiccups'. I can't quite describe it but that is the gist of it. I tried to raise this with the GP but they dismissed it because it was 'unusual for someone to present with an ear problem as a result of reflux', despite the fact this literally causes the ear spasms. So basically it's got to the point where there's no-one else I can really go to for answers, and it seems to be getting worse. I just can't face the prospect of living with this indefinitely, especially as I'm supposed to be going off to university later this year and I have no idea how I'll be able to cope.

I guess I'm just wondering whether there's anyone else who at least is experiencing something similar to this, or who has any coping mechanisms they find useful. I know by now there's probably no way of just 'curing' this, but I'm hoping it'll settle down if I can stop obsessing about it so much. Guess I'll be seeing you around!

2. ofaisalo
      Balanced

ofaisalo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      well i see a lot of people here when yawing they hear cricking in their ears
      while the ENT doctor told me its has nothing to do with my tinnitus and he was 100% sure
      ok then why it happens to the people with tinnitus mostly
      they didn't experience it so i think they have wrong idea
      its annoying when doctors don't know how to cure it
      and i am sure 100% the cure is simple but not discovered yet
      maybe its related to nerves
      last time the doctor told me to go for physiotherapy maybe the problem in my neck
      -------
      i know the cure is exist but doctors only sitting on their desks waiting for new patients
      not thinking for a cure
      they do the usual check for people who have tinnitus telling them
      there is no cure and you have to live with it and dont think about it
      this is really annoying
      all what i am doing now is eating healthy food ( vegetables and fruits )
      do some exercises hoping that will help in long term
      --------
      sorry for my english
      and i wish for you and all others to be cured :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. Nowhearthis

Nowhearthis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MEM
      I have middle ear myoclonus since 2007. At first it started as a flutter in one ear then got worse with heavy deep thumps/spasms in both ears. Over the years my ears crackled, popped, snapped all day every day.
      One month ago I had surgery to cut the diseased muscles (tensor tampani and stapedial) in one ear. My e-tube is part of the problem too. The surgery was simple as surgeries go. Outpatient procedure with little pain and even less discomfort. It has helped in providing some much needed relief. The thumping has stopped although I still feel some movement but not the harsh deep thumps. Yarning, burping has lessen and noise does not trigger thumping or cause pain in that ear. I hope to schedule second surgery to remedy the still thumping ear within the next few weeks. As I continue to heal, I am happy with the results thus far.

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hdun97
      Stressed

Hdun97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspected tensor tympani myoclonus
      I'm glad the surgery worked for you! From what I've read it seems to be hit and miss whether it's effective or not, so that's good to hear. I'm a little hesitant to go cutting muscles in my ear if there's the possibility that it's not going to do anything, or even make it worse! Have you had any side effects since - ringing, fullness..?

I feel as if there should be something that can be done to the eustachian tube to alleviate this... it is almost as if the nerves there have got irritated for some reason or another, and then any kind of stimulation eg. stretching, yawning etc. triggers a kind of chain reaction. Seems odd that noise isn't something that affects mine. I don't know.

Thanks for your message :)

5. Nowhearthis

Nowhearthis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MEM
      Totally understand your hesitation in having surgery. I was desperate and had to take a leap of faith the surgery would offer some relief... it has. I still have myo in the other ear so it continues to thump. Once my doctor clears my healing ear, I will for sure schedule the other. The side effect is a bit of high pitch T, but far more tolerable than hard deep painful thumps 24/7.

6. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @Nowhearthis if the muscles were cut how come you still feel movement? My biggest fear is to have the surgery n the spasms not going away. Did the high pitch t go away?

7. Nowhearthis

Nowhearthis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MEM
      It is okay to be fearful. This disorder is complicated and rare. Finding a qualified and experienced doctor is half the battle. The muscles can continue to move although cut, but unable to beat/knock against the ear drum. My high pitched T is getting better or I am getting use to the sound.
      Two months since surgery my ear continues to improves.

8. Chelles
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @Nowhearthis did you have tinnitus prior to the surgery? Are you in the USA? I found a doctor in Philadelphia who specializes in this type of surgery.

9. Nowhearthis

Nowhearthis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MEM
      Yes I noticed T when my ears got much worse from the myo, before the surgery. Aftet the surgery, the pitch got higher but it seems to be improving. I had/will have the surgery in the NYC area.

10. Chelles
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @Nowhearthis did they have to cut your eardrum or did they go in thru the nose? I dont know which option is less risky.

11. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I think everyone can force rumbling with their yawns right? even normal people? The key is to find out if associated things with myo like rumbling are the eustachian tube affecting the stapedius, or the stapes affecting both the cochlea and the stapedius...

12. StephAtkings
      Fine

StephAtkings Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi There, I suffer from these thumps and yes it is also brought on my burps hiccups yawns etc. I started taking Magnesium supplements from Holland and Barret. After a couple of weeks I noticed the thumps became less. 5-6 week later it stopped completely. I would get the odd flutter if I burped or Hiccup but it would only do it once or twice and that was it. I came off the Magnesium in August, started taking it once a week and my flutters have come back !! No where near as bad as the last time though !! I am back on the Magnesium and it seems to have settled. !

13. StephAtkings
      Fine

StephAtkings Member

Tinnitus Since:
      maybe speak to your doc and give it a try ?? I feel your pain xx

14. mindy Taylor
      Alone

mindy Taylor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      late June
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not tinnitus...just thumping noise
      omg me and you have the exact same thing....its driving me crazy
      thumping on and off....the doc said I have water behind the ear....now I have to figure out how to get it out.....I can't concentrate or sleep or eat.im losing my mind

15. zanner15

zanner15 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustation Tube Dysfunction?
      I get the same thing in my left ear. It sucks. I feel your pain. I am clueless to what it is. I always kinda thought it was just part of my T. Would love to get it fixed....

16. aimeemaire
      Depressed

aimeemaire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/MEM
      Who was your doctor in NYC?