New Tinnitus Sufferer — Is It Normal for Doctor to Order an MRI for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Peaches, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Peaches

Peaches Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right ear issues
      I just developed tinnitus at the end of Sept. I've had issues with my right ear from bad ear infections over the years.

My ENT said it has caused a thickening of my inner ear. I don't know if it's the reason it started but around the time it did l was under a lot of stress. My husband had ankle surgery. It was minor surgery but my stress was high because of my fear of him falling as he was having a difficult time getting around. Especially using steps.

My ENT has done a regular hearing test as well as a brain revoking test which showed hearing loss which l know l had. She put me on Lipo-Flavonoid.

I also have degenerative neck disease which I've been told can cause tinnitus.

My question is l go back to get in December and she said if l decide to try a hearing aid she would first have an MRI done.

Is this normal to do and has everyone had an MRI done for tinnitus.

I'm a worry wort and my anxiety goes out of whack. Only thing that helps me sleep is my anxiety meds. Thanks for listening to my story.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It's not unusual for an ENT to order a MRI to check for an acoustic neuroma, a noncancerous growth that develops on the eighth cranial nerve. Not to worry, for most people it turns out to be negative. Better to rule it out than not to know for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Peaches

Peaches Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right ear issues
      She told me that's what the brain revoking test would find if there was something blocking the nerves to my ear.

4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Peaches,

Hi... :)

Just a quick mention: -- MRIs can be very loud, and it's imperative people with tinnnitus and/or hyperacusis do whatever they can to protect themselves from that. There's some good threads/posts on this topic on the forum. GE apparently made an MRI machine that is quieter, so if you can find one of those, that would be good. -- All the Best!

• Agree Agree x 1