New to Forums — Tinnitus Worsening Over Last Couple of Years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ben Scheirman, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Watch Hazel share good news about tinnitus
    1. Ben Scheirman

Ben Scheirman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

I've been a lurker on the forums for a while. It's both depressing and heartening to read about other folks' struggles with tinnitus.

It's clear that I have a relatively mild case compared to some, but it's still annoying as hell and not something I want to live with for the rest of my life (let alone get worse). I'm interested in learning more about therapies and medications that might improve the situation.

I did some reading around ACRN therapy over the last year and decided to write an app to implement it. If you're interested in trying it out, let me know.

Anyway, that's me. :beeranimation:

-- Ben from Houston

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ben Scheirman

Ben Scheirman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I probably should mention some more details, as it may be relevant to future discussions.

- I'm 40
      - I play guitar and have been exposed to fairly loud amplifiers over the last 10 years. Since my tinnitus started I rarely expose myself to loud guitar sounds anymore.
      - I'm an avid listener of music, but I try not to listen at loud volumes.
      - I use my AirPods everyday, mostly for podcasts and audiobooks. I'm reading other posts suggesting that these may be a cause (or make it worse)
      - I drink ~2 cups of coffee every day
      - Stress is pretty much a constant in my life, despite my best efforts. I suspect others are probably the same in this regard :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Ezri Carlebach

Ezri Carlebach Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chemotherapy drugs containing platinum
      Music is a big part of my life too Ben! Even though my tinnitus never, ever stops, not for one second, I find that when I lose myself in music I can ignore it more effectively than at any other time. But it has made playing my own music much harder... I used to be a stand-up bass player, and I still strum a guitar now and then.