New to Having Tinnitus and Just Telling My Story

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tilen Tomažič, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Tilen Tomažič

Tilen Tomažič Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone. :)

My name's Tilen and I've been dealing with T in my left ear for over a month now, so I'm very new at this and still sorta scared about the whole "for the rest of your life" thing. I've always felt like silence wasn't actually silence for me but it never bothered me, i liked being in silence, it was great.

I was prescribed Medrol + something that protects your stomach from pills that are as serious as Medrol and Betaserc for dizziness and ringing. I had a decreasing schedule for Medrol, gradually decreasing my dosage to half a pill a day and after 10 days, my ringing has disappeared. I still heard the hissing when exposed to pin drop silences like basements or air tight rooms with no external sounds, but that was fine as any minimal ambient noise completely masked it.

I had an episode 2 nights ago as I laid into bed, no ringing, then within 2 minutes, my right ear just turned on, a loud ring, it made me feel sick to my stomach. The ear was also feeling kind of warm, like it was heating up. It was past midnight and you know how it is when something happens it night, it all feels like the end of the world. I wasn't able to relax, I tried to play different youtube videos such as ocean waves, rain, but I could still hear the ringing over it, it was very scary, at least from my perspective. I did manage to get a few hours of sleep. And when I woke up, just covered in sweat, the ringing in my right ear was gone and I didn't have any in my left ear either. I usually sleep with my head turned up, not on the side, and because I felt so happy that my T was gone, I laid my head on the left side to catch a few more minutes in my bed and within a minute of laying there, like a light switch, the ringing in my left ear just turned on, then disappeared in the course of a few hours. Was it the salted chips I ate earlier that day that could have cause my right ear episode? Any idea? And how is it possible that I didn't hear any ringing up until I laid my head to the side and it just immediately turned on?

I had a doctor's appointment this morning after having that episode and my doctor checked both of my ears, he did mention that my right ear was slightly irritated, but nothing concerning, and since the ringing disappeared and I wasn't showing any symptoms in the morning (besides the sweat) he didn't give me anything for it and only told me that he doesn't know much about it, like the rest of the medical world. The only thing he could say to me was "stay positive" and smiled at me. But, he did say that after I do my 2 months of Betaserc, which will be in less than a month now, and the ringing does increase, I can come to him and get a permanent prescription for Betaserc and can just go to the pharmacy whenever I run out.

I'm still freaked out about this new thing I have, and I have read that acknowledging it almost gives it power and control over you. It's like an annoying cousin that you can't get rid of, you just learn to ignore him and move on, even though he's always there. It's just hard at this point, because I don't know what causes spikes, what will cause spikes and I'm scared to be honest, it's a very scary situation.

Thanks for reading my long thread, I tried to be as short as possible

Tilen

2. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Tilen I have illiminated salt, white sugar, caffiene, alcohol, and chemical sweeteners from my diet. I have constant T but with proper diet, gym four times a week and stress reduction techniques I feel good most of the time. Hopefully your T will go away eventually and you will be fine but until then practice the above and above all protect your ears from any loud noises for that will spike your T or damage them where your T will become permenant. We all are a little scared when we first experience T but you are going to be alright for we have all been where you are..

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tilen Tomažič

Tilen Tomažič Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you. I'm positive about it. :)