New to Here Yet Not New to Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MacZilla, Apr 17, 2013.

1. MacZilla

MacZilla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Greetings to the Forum and thanks for the site. I do have some questions yet I can ask them later.

I started getting this ringing just over five years ago it really got bad after took vicodin for a bad back. Since then it keeps getting louder and louder. Down side is I jumped over to filming. I mostly did the audio when filming and video editing in post. Can't do that as well as I did. Weird thing is I took care of my ears over the years using ear plugs and headphones. What did me in was an iPod.

There's more just saying "Hi There"

2. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi,

A famous musician here in Belgium (famous in Belgium, that is… ;) ) who also suffers from tinnitus, once said: "headphones are weapons of mass destruction". And they are to your hair cells.
      You think the level is acceptable, but the music is so close to your ears, that you don't even realise when you're going over the edge.

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, and welcome, MacZilla!

I had mild tinnitus for a number of years, too (about 25 years) , and it was not bothersome at all. Then, I took a blood pressure drug that increased my tinnitus 10-fold, and also added pulsatile tinnitus to the mix. I think there are a lot of drugs out there that can affect tinnitus in those of us who already have it. It could be that the drug, along with the I-pod, caused your tinnitus to increase.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yeah, I use in-ear monitors for music listening on the go, and that is close to the ear. Some further and the IEMs would touch my ear drums. I have thought about the possible effects of IEMs on tinnitus, i.e. them being so near to the hearing mechanism, but they haven't affected me in a bad way, and I really do listen at very moderate volumes. Since they block outside ambient noise exceptionally well, I don't need to have the volume at very loud to be able to enjoy music.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MacZilla

MacZilla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Yeah many of the headphones out there can do some real damage to ones ear. To my error I was using Noise Cancellation earbuds. They worked so good yet I never thought about the consequences.

6. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Me too I ran marathons cranking loud music and now I have this dreaded T ...wish I could go back in time I would of done things differently

7. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Yeah, I wore earplugs to ALL concerts I went to - I'm a huge death & progressive metal fan and those concerts get loud. I almost never had tinnitus after the concerts... in fact, the only times I can remember having a ringing after was my 2nd Opeth concert about 8 or 9 years ago, and I was in such a good mood it bothered me 0% and went away forever after going to sleep.

8 years later I'm watching a TV show on my computer with my over the ear headphones and I have the volume too high... after that, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :)

Can't be too careful I guess.

• Hug Hug x 1