New to the Game

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Grantas, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Grantas
      Relaxed

Grantas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu - Low Frequency SSHL
      Hello to all,

What a strange year it's been so far! Noticed aural fullness in my left ear around Christmas 2016 and went through the usual stuff - ear wax drops, visits to GP, etc. Was informed of the possibility of ETD and that I should pop my ears, etc.

Then...... the tinnitus started and didn't leave. Back to GP - 'You have ETD. Here's a referral to an ENT.'

One month later, a visit to the ENT reveals low frequency hearing loss. No ETD, no pressure issues, no blockages. ENT believes I was 'just unlucky', but I went for an MRI in any case which came back clear. Big relief at this point as a neuroma was ruled out.

I then began to habitualise to the fullness and T which became bearable over time.

But then....... last weekend, I took a low dose of Voltaren pain killers for back ache and coincidentally developed a cold with sinus pressure.

Bloody T and fullness has now gone through the roof! Hopefully it's a temporary issue caused by the meds or this cold. Any ideas?

I'm concerned that I've developed further hearing loss which has spiked the fullness and T.

Tough one to figure out right now!

Grant

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Grantas

Before the onset of your tinnitus did you regularly listen to music through headphones or attend places where loud music is played often: clubs, concerts or the cinema. Do you listen to music now through headphones? I ask as the most common cause of tinnitus, is exposure to loud noise although this might not be in your case.

Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grantas
      Relaxed

Grantas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu - Low Frequency SSHL
      Hi @Michael Leigh

Thank for the reply. I was always health and noise conscious, but as we know, it doesn't take much.

My ENT suggests that a bout of flu in November may be a factor for the SSHL, but he can't be sure.

I'm just concerned that after habituating, my T has doubled after the weekend just past.

Hopefully it's due to this cold and / or the voltaren!

If not, I'll learn to adapt to the new T also.

Tough times!

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Grantas

I just wanted to know before the onset of your tinnitus, did you regularly listen to music through headphones? or regularly attend places where loud music is played? Even if you were always noise conscious, this doesn't mean your tinnitus wasn't caused by loud noise. Do you still listen to music through headphones?

When there is no underlying medical problem causing tinnitus the most common cause is Loud sounds. Particularly headphone use and attending places where loud music is played.

Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grantas
      Relaxed

Grantas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu - Low Frequency SSHL
      Thanks @Michael Leigh,

I'd say my exposure to loud music through headphones or otherwise has been very limited.

I would generally listen to music in the car or at home via speakers.

I have had sporadic exposure to firearms over the years, but always with the correct ear protection.

Grant

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Okay @Grantas thanks for the information.
      As I said. When there is no underlying medical condition causing the tinnitus it is usually caused by headphone use or attending places where loud music is played.

I hope your ETD improves.
      All the best
      Michael

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grantas
      Relaxed

Grantas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu - Low Frequency SSHL
      Thanks @Michael Leigh

Have you heard of colds with nasal congestion and / or meds (Voltaren) to cause spikes in T?

I really hope it's something temporary and the normal T can return.

Grant

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Many things can cause tinnitus ( and spikes) including colds and ear infections. I have written an article on tinnitus that you might want to read. The link is below. Try to read it in full and not skim through it. If you listen to music through headphones I advise you to stop. If you attend places where loud music is played give it a rest for a while. When you resume, I advise that you use noise reducing earplugs that have filters .

Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grantas
      Relaxed

Grantas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu - Low Frequency SSHL
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are welcome @Grantas
      Thanks for your kind comments and I hope the tinnitus calms down for you soon.
      All the best
      Michael

11. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Hi Grant!
      You might be experiencing a temporary spike. I get random spikes when tinnitus bothers me more, especially the pain. I have had tinnitus for almost four years now, after SSHL in 2013. I don't know what causes the spikes most of the time. I just ride them out and wait for things to return to "normal". I hope you find some relief soon. Hang in there!