New to This Curse!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jonedwinmigel, Jan 11, 2015.

1. jonedwinmigel
      Not amused

jonedwinmigel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue.
      Hello everyone! I have had tinnitus for like a month now and I must say it is pretty much one of the worst things I've ever had to deal with! I don't know how it came about or what caused it but one day it was just there and has not went away ever since. Some days are ok and tolerable, other days its loud, piercing and very high pitched making paying attention to anything else almost seem impossible. Any recommendations on what could help tolerate would be much appreciated! I work in a quiet office so life has been almost a nightmare...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Sound generators made for your ears

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jonedwinmigel
      Not amused

jonedwinmigel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue.
      Can a person just buy these things somewhere? I have noticed one thing about the ring that I also just thought I'd share. Puffing on an e-cig makes it twice as bad so that went in the trash and I'm now quitting smoking cold turkey. looked online for any more people with the same issue and it seems pretty legit, the e-cig is bad news for someone with tinnitus!

4. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi, have you seen an ENT yet, if not that would be the first step. Have him/her look in your ear, give you a hearing test, go over your meds with him. You also can get a masker, but I have found they are cheaper and backed up better if you purchased one from your ENT. All a masker is generate White Noise, just like you hear from a FM radio that is tuned to a dead frequency and that hiss you hear is White Noise. I can feel for you man, I remember my first month, it was rough to say the least. Have a look around at the different forums, you will learn a lot and be better prepared with the knowledge and terms you learn from here.

What causes it, No one really knows, that's one reason why there is no cure. You have made a wise decision by coming here, as I said have a look around to get an idea of what others are doing and saying, what different treatments are available, then there is "The Dr's Corner. A good place to ask a Dr. a question.

Keep us updated . Someone is always around from all over the world.

Remember you are not alone in this.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      @jonedwinmigel
      Yeah, what @gary said. It is a curse,,,I hate to say that, but why us? Welcome to the forum.
      I hope you find it informative, supportive, and helpful. I hope you can sleep ok.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jonedwinmigel
      Not amused

jonedwinmigel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue.
      I have not seen an ENT yet but that is the next step in the matter for sure. I have looked around a bit on here and have done research every day to see different methods of coping, some helpful and some not so much. I don't wish this upon anyone but it is nice to know I'm not the only person going through it and there are others who understand. I try to explain it to people who don't have it and all they can really say is "well that sucks". It would be nice to get a good nights sleep that's for sure but it has not happened in some time.

7. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      Yea I think smoke ain't good for it don't know why but I use to play darts in bars all over town leagues ect. loved it but the smoke seems to make it bad for what reason I guess it irratates the nerves .I'm 5 months into T and I can tell you, It will get better, but be patient .You have got people on here that will let you know how to handle T at all points of time.It is a bit tough at first, get help professionally an ENT would be the first step it could be something wrong physically with your ears.When I went and my ENT said you got Tinnitus I did'nt know what it was, alot of people don't really know but when you experience it you find out alot about it. Get some help ,deal with any stress you might have with it first, if your ENT finds nothing wrong with your hearing or ear anatomy.Also keep in mind the sound won't hurt you it is the stress so deal with this in the earliest stages .then look on here and you can find treatments tricks, and therapys alot of experienced knowledge on this site..

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      If the T ringing bothers you very much, then consider some masking sounds. If you have a PC, you can download free sound generator 'aire freshener'. It has many sounds to choose from. Also youtube has many tinnitus masking videos of rain and nature sounds. For my ultra high pitch T, I like the waterfall, heavy rain, shower, waves, etc. You can also download some nature sounds into ipod using itune. This will give you mobile masking. At bed time, consider buying a sound machine or sound pillow. Even a CD player will help. Take it easy. One day at a time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jonedwinmigel
      Not amused

jonedwinmigel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue.
      First medical appointment on the 2nd. Hope for the best, expect the worst kind of situation I guess. I will keep everyone posted.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jonedwinmigel
      Not amused

jonedwinmigel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue.
      Also,was wondering if anyone else has experienced this... Once I am having a spike, my T feels as if there is also a pressure that comes along with it??? Once that spike goes away the pressure subsides it is a wonderful feeling, almost a feeling of normalcy for a brief moment. The pressure however really scares me so I wonder if it is something that usually comes along with this curse.

11. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Jonedwinmigel,

The pressure you're experiencing is not unusual. In fact, some people who are new to tinnitus have a constant feeling of pressure, or fullness, in the ears. No one knows for sure what causes it, but it may be due to Eustachian tube imbalance. At any rate, yours may go away in time.

When my tinnitus first worsened four and a half years ago, I had almost constant pressure, and kept trying to pop my ears, which never worked. Now, the pressure is gone. I can't remember the last time I experienced it! So, there is hope for you, too, that it will go away completely.

The other folks on this thread have given you lots of good advice. Try some of their suggestions, and in time, things will begin to look a lot better!!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Yes Jon, a pressure or full feeling has been reported along with T. I myself used to get that when I first got
      T. Good Luck on the 2nd. don't be afraid to ask the Dr for a mild tranquilizer to settle you down, and get some sleep...

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jonedwinmigel
      Not amused

jonedwinmigel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue.
      Thanks for the quick response, it's good to know and puts me a little more at ease. I am definitely going to ask lots of questions when I go and also see about my options for sleep. Right now I do some meditation and also take melatonin and valerian, it helps but its nothing like what a doc may be able to give me. Today was a bad day for me, I have been spiking all day and even though I refuse to let T consume my life, its easier said then done on these days. I really feel for those who have been dealing with this for years...

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jonedwinmigel
      Not amused

jonedwinmigel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue.
      Karen, kind of funny you mention trying to pop your ears... ive done the same thing several times! Never works... At least we can laugh together at some of the things that we try.

15. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I kept trying all kinds of things to get the fullness to go away back then, and nothing (including ear-popping!) worked. It's just something that has to go away in its own time. I can now look back on it and smile, but it is definitely not fun when you're going through it!

Good luck with your doctor appointment, and let us know how things are going.

• Like Like x 1
    16. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Kinda funny Karen, we must have been replying to jon at the same time. We pretty much said the same thing.:D

17. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, @gary, I think we did reply at about the same time! I've done that more than once on this forum. Anyway, looks like we both had the same experience with the pressure and feeling of fullness. Did yours go away, too?

• Like Like x 1
    18. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Yeah it went away after about 4 or 5 months. I did not have it all the time though, it would come and go. It really did not bother me that much, not like T

I sure hope in my lifetime (i'm 68) I will TT shut down because it is no longer needed...

19. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You and me both, @gary! I'm 68, too. Let's hope for a cure in our lifetime for us "oldsters"!

• Hug Hug x 2
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jonedwinmigel
      Not amused

jonedwinmigel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue.
      I hope for the same but I am grateful I found this site not long after I got this T. In a frantic search online for something that could get rid of it, I landed myself here and even though its not a cure it sure has helped me cope especially on the bad days where I wonder to myself how am I going to live life with this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Jon we all think that way. we just have to learn how to deal with it the best we can, what else is there to do. I am not about to kill myself over this, yes, it can at times be maddening though. Believe me, once you start helping people here you will see a change in yourself for the better.

• Like Like x 2
    22. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @gary,

I agree --- when you start helping others who have this condition, it brings out something special in you, and you realize that you really DO have the strength to fight this thing! Giving of yourself to others is best therapy there is.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      Hi @jonedwinmigel
      Just wanted to ask if the pressure in your ears went ? I'm 10 weeks into my T and the
      ear pressure and fullness has not gone.
      Hope all is better for you!

24. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @MJC,

I have had severe tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus for over five years now. When mine first started, I had a lot of fullness and pressure in the ears. I also had dizziness and some bouts of vertigo. It did take awhile, but now, the pressure and fullness are totally gone. The dizziness and vertigo are gone, too.

I still have both tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus, but at least you can take comfort in the fact that the pressure, for many of us, does eventually go away.

Please don't despair; things will improve with time.

25. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Welcome jonedwinmigel,

Ask your ENT, if your still eligible for a course of Prenisone? Pressure is usually caused by inflammation and Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory, among other things. The inner ear is encased in fluid, so maybe an increase in inflammation, is causing your pressure issues.

Good luck and God bless,

Sailboardman