NEW to Tinnitus — Sound Technician Seeking Advice Through Dark Times

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chris T., Dec 28, 2019.

1. Chris T.
      Batty

Chris T. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fire Truck Horn/Head Cold
      Hi Everyone. My name is Chris T. I am a Sound Mixer in California and was recently diagnosed with Tinnitus caused from a loud fire truck air horn. I was part of a news crew that was covering the Northern California Wildfires in October of this year. I got blasted at close range by a fire truck that suddenly honked its air horn at very close proximity. Immediately after my ears kind of hurt but I could hear fine.
      A few days went by and I had noticed a strange feeling of fullness in my ear and some popping sounds. My ear kind of hurt but I thought I was just going to get over it. It was very smoky where I had been working so I guess it affected my immune system, and a few days later I got sick and quite congested with a head cold.
      I was sick for two days, blowing my nose etc, and I woke up the third day to a high pitch ringing in my right ear. About an hour later I was sitting there and a ringing began in my left ear.

I went to ENT's and audiologists that tell me everything in my ears look fine.

I went to the same audiologist I had had a hearing test from in the past...and they said the test results this time was slightly BETTER than the test I took two years previously.
      So they said I have No hearing loss, at least in what their audiometry test can show.
      I have not gotten an OtoAcousticEmissions test yet so really I'm not sure what to think.
      I heard you can have tinnitus without hearing loss, but still wondering what actually is causing this to occur.

The ringing began to really affect my life, both physically and emotionally. I couldn't sleep for days at a time.
      I felt like my life was completely over. I felt such regret for having not worn some kind of ear protection.
      I felt like my life had fallen apart. After a couple weeks the noise started to get a little quieter but still remained. I noticed a slight fluttering sound as well in my right ear almost like an odd rhythmic digital transmission, low and fast beeps followed by occasional high beeps. . . along with the high pitch clean tone in both ears.

Its now been nearly two months... and it seems like perhaps I have noticed a couple different times that it seemed to get slightly quieter and more tolerable, but now I can't really tell if I'm just getting more used to it, if it's actually getting a little better, or if my mind is playing tricks on me.

Every day has been so hard since this happened to me, because not just for my own inner peace, but I am a sound engineer, so this throws my whole future into uncertainty.
      I have been in tears every other day, if not every day. I can't escape this feeling of such deep and profound loss. I haven't been able to find enjoyment from anything I normally enjoy doing. I haven't been able to feel happy about anything. I am still in disbelief and utter grief over the loss of this that has happened to me.

I know I am still early on in this battle, I am still trying to have hope that it could improve and get better, but its so hard to deal with the fact its really not seeming like its going to regress.
      I feel like its just going to last forever, and even though I wish more than anything that I have the potential to heal...I know that I should start to accept that very real possibility.

As the time is going by, I can't help but wonder if I should continue to be optimistic, or if the fact
      I been experiencing this for two months already and the idea of month 3 creeps up, I should really just start to accept it. I've been really trying to cope but its been near impossible.

It's taken some time to get approved with my insurance etc, but I finally have some upcoming appointments to see a Psychologist/CBT Counselor.

Thanks to anyone for your advice and input.

Best,

Chris T.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      You are not alone, all of us have been in your situation. Tinnitus can change lives and all of us need support to deal with it. talking with someone is a good idea, possibly they can give you strategies to cope and move forward. All in all, time, patience are important when it comes to dealing with tinnitus.

Hang in there, this forum is here to support those that suffer from tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris T.
      Batty

Chris T. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fire Truck Horn/Head Cold
      wow yeah it looks like you have the same reasons for your tinnitus.

I guess it's still new for me which is even harder, and I still am hoping it could go away with some time...
      I've been trying to be very careful. I wish I had worn the earplugs I had with me that day... I wear them a lot more now.

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Yes, it was harder for all of us when we first got tinnitus. I don't think anyone was able to escape the shock and surprise that tinnitus brought on. When I got hit with tinnitus almost 32 years ago, I relied on talking it out with people that were supportive of me and my situation. This has been very instrumental in my tinnitus journey.

It takes time to cope, adapt and move forward, just hang in there.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Chris, I've been diagnosed with severe tinnitus for some time now and what has changed for me is my acceptance of it. Mind you, that's taken quite a while but you come to realize & accept that it's an infliction that won't harm you as much as being annoyed by it. Or at times really annoyed by it. Sleep is extremely important and I hope you're getting it. A good night's sleep can help you have a better day tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Hi Chris,

Welcome (although I'm sure we all wish no one needed to be here)!

To give a small ray of hope: Lenire seems to slowly get more and more positive results on their treatment. Some of their clients come from this forum and share their experiences with the device. Another device is being developed by Susan Shore and seems to have even better results, although progress is slower. At least those are my impressions from reading the research and topics up to this point.

Of all the years you could have gotten tinnitus, this might be one of the better ones. Focus on coping with the sounds and habituating, but whenever you're feeling really bad, hold on to that hope.