New to Tinnitus and forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Donnae197, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Donnae197

Donnae197 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hi, I'm Donna and was just diagnosed with Tinnitus 4 days ago. The "ringing" in my left ear is more of a roar like the sound of a helicopter and it very load. I have noticed today that the sound gets more amplified the more outside noise there is. For instance the TV noise. What is the best advise you can give me as a newbie?

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Donna, and welcome!

I'm sorry you're having a problem with very loud tinnitus right now, and I hope things will improve for you soon. How did the tinnitus start? Do you know what might have caused it?

Since you mentioned that outside noises amplify it, I would say that you probably also have hyperacusis (extreme sensitivity to sound). I haven't had that myself, and am hoping others on this forum will be able to advise you on how to handle it. I do know that, for most people, hyperacusis fades after you've had tinnitus for awhile.

My advice is to get some high-quality ear plugs to shut out the worst of the outside noise. You should not use them all the time -- just in situations where the noise around you bothers you or when you know you'll be exposed to loud noise.

Also --- it's really important to get enough sleep, which is hard when tinnitus first begins. You might want to try a sleep aid (over-the-counter or prescription) to help you during this time. Melatonin is a natural sleep aid which you could also try. It is more subtle than a prescription drug, but it does work.

Another thing to do is find some sort of sound masking. I use a sound machine myself, with water sounds or nature sounds when it is very quiet 0r when trying to sleep. It's best not to be in a totally quiet environment, so the nature sounds (or a fan turned on low) might really help.

Also, a lot of us try different types of supplements to aid us when tinnitus is loud, such as magnesium, gingko biloba, etc.

I hope that some of these suggestions will be helpful to you. Other members on this forum may have additional suggestions.

I wish you a peaceful evening!
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi Donna, and welcome. :welcomesignanimation:

Karen gives great advice and has a lot of knowledge, so already you are in good hands.

You mentioned you were recently diagnosed. Did you go to an ENT?
      I really recommend you see an audiologist as well, if you have not already, to determine if you have any hearing loss. Also, an audiologist will be better able to tell if you have hyperacusis. As Karen said, the good news about H is that it often fades after awhile.

Is anxiety an issue for you? Your post seems very calm. Anxiety often comes with tinnitus and can make getting used to it that much harder -- so if you don't have it, you are off to a good start.

Browse around the forums and if you have any questions, ask away.
      Oh, and depending on how you got your tinnitus... it very well may go away. You still are very new to tinnitus so I would not consider it permanent yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Donnae, the other girls here pretty much summed it up. Welcome aboard and just take your time browsing through the Support & this Intro fourm. The other forums are great too. Just don't try to cram too much in your head at one time. Keep in mind, we all know exactly what you are going through, you are not alone...

• Friendly Friendly x 1