New to Tinnitus and It's Getting Worse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Animefreak, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Animefreak

Animefreak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would say it's been about 3 weeks sense I started getting this howling/pulsing sound in my right ear. It was very muffed for the first week and now it's gradually getting worse. Last night and this morning has been horrible it's been very very loud. I seem to notice it more when I'm not doing much. If I'm at work it basically stops. It's just making me super irritable and yeah....

2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Have you gotten your ears checked for earwax? Muffled sounds to me, sounds like it could be earwax or some other obstruction.

3. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      @Animefreak How long have you been aware of your tinnitus over all? what you're describing appears to be an increased awareness of body sounds( somatosounds, to give the technical name). Not wishing to alarm you but it might be worth having that checked out.( first port of call would be an audiologist).
      The fact that you are less aware of those sounds during the day is encouraging and I would recommend looking into sound enrichment as this will, if done well reduce the awareness of the sounds during the night time hours or in times of low activity.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Animefreak

Animefreak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @pathworker2017 now that I read up on it it kinds of sounds like it. Because I'm not getting a ringing in my ear is more like a howling/pulsing sound but sometimes it's so loud I almost want to cry from it. And I want to say I started hearing it maybe 3 weeks ago almost a month maybe and it's been slowly getting worse

5. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      @Animefreak. its all about learning , @Michael Leigh
      has some good posts on the subject. well worth a read for a few pointers.

6. Bfbraun

Bfbraun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi I'm new here also about three weeks I had that muffled sound sensitive to sounds now that is gone and I am left with that howling/roaring like an engine at night. it is off and on all night and during the day I guess if I'm busy I don't notice it as much but it is literally driving me crazy. Have not been able to sleep! Been to two ENT Drs and had a hearing test, slight hearing loss in one ear not much to write home about. What do you do it has me a nervous wreck!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Animefreak

Animefreak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bfbraun I literally have the same thing!!!! I'm going to the doctor on Wednesday so I'll let you know what they say about mine. Ive been trying things to make me feel distracted from it. I was listening to some low volume white noise last night and it helped slightly. I find anything that keeps me away from just thinking about the sound and hearing it makes it better. So that's all I can do.. but sometimes especially at night it gets so bad I almost want to break down into tears..

8. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Animefreak, and @Bfbraun,

As @pathworker2017 mentioned @Michael Leigh has a number of great posts on tinnitus. I would recommend starting with https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/ . (that is a long post, but it is absolutely worth the time it will take to read).

This may be a good sign. The fact that it is unnoticeable even for short periods may indicate that you will, at the very least, be able to habituate.

Try not to let it get to you. I am sure you have seen a number of posts here about staying positive , and how that will help you cope with tinnitus.

@billie48 wrote his success story demonstrating how positivity helped him habituate.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

@Michael Leigh wrote the following, excellent post on the importance of positivity: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/ and the following on negativity and tinnitus
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

We have all been and/or are still there. Tinnitus is infuriating, and can be debilitating. I am sorry that you are experiencing this, but I can say that it is very common. Tinnitus and depression are common companions. They feed into each other and create a terrible feedback loop; Tinnitus can cause or exacerbate depression, and depression can trigger tinnitus and cause spikes. I know it is difficult, but try not to get too upset with it. IF you search this forum you will find many posts about staying positive (many more than the few links I provided above). It really does help and make a difference.

I wish you well, please keep up updated on your progress.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Animefreak

Animefreak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Kolisar thank you for all the insight I'm definitely going to read that one long post right now, im still so new to this so it's frustrating for now but I'm really going to try and stay positive about everything, I really appreciate the support so thank you again

10. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Animefreak You are welcome. It is really worth following @pathworker2017 's suggestion about searching out posts by @Michael Leigh . I would have have said that myself (and I have in countless replies ) had it not already been suggested. I am sure you are finding that this forum is filled with very helpful and sympathetic people. And, the best part is that we all understand what you are going through. While not everyone will have experienced everything you are experiencing (e.g. I hear multiple tones and static in both ears, where you hear a howling/pulsing sound in you right ear), We will certainly all understand the effects of that torment, lack of sleep, and the depression and anxiety they can cause.

So, the important part of what I am trying to say here is: You are going to be frustrated, frightened, depressed, and many other emotions that will pop up when you least expect it. But, you have found this forum. You are now part of a community that, despite the fact that no one wants to be here, and no one would wish membership on anyone (the cost is far too high), we support each other. When you are feeling overwhelmed by your tinnitus, need to complain, need some virtual shoulders to cry on, someone will be here, and you will find the support you need. You are not going to have to fight this alone.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Animefreak

Animefreak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Kolisar I honestly really love this community already, everyone is so supportive. @Michael Leigh gave me some really good advice about putting on some white noise/ nature sounds on my stereo on a low volume at night, I tried it and it really helped with distracting me and falling asleep finally. I know it's not going to be easy Getting past this but I'm super glad I found a place like this to come to, so thank you so much @Kolisar :)

• Like Like x 1