New to Tinnitus and Not Coping Very Well!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dan H, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Dan H

Dan H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Hi all

I'm new to the world of tinnitus and it's fair to say I'm not coping very well with it. I started noticing it around a month ago during a particularly nasty bout of tonsillitis, and was hoping that it was going to be temporary due to the infection. But as each day passes by I lose a bit more hope that this is the case, especially now that my throat is fine.

I have probably had a very mild form of tinnitus for as long as I can remember, as I have been able to hear a noise when in quiet surroundings and it did not bother me one bit. But around a month ago I started hearing a new, louder and more high pitched tone which I find I can hear in most environments. My only escape is when there is a fair amount of noise around me such as in a pub, or running water. This sudden addition of a new, more noticeable tone has had me very depressed recently and during my worst hours it has felt as though my life is basically ruined. I find it incredible that one month ago all I had to worry about was a throat infection and now it has come to this.

I do have a history of health anxiety, and I am aware that anxiety can make this a lot worse, but I don't think this is purely caused by anxiety. My biggest fear at the moment is that it is here to stay and I will not be able to cope with it, although I'm sure there are some people on here that have got it worse than me and have learnt to ignore it!

I do also have visual static which I have had for over six years, and I have read that there is a link between these two symptoms. But I am hoping this is not the case as I would not be very hopeful of it going away.

I was just wondering if anybody has had an increase or additional tone that has lasted for this long or longer, and found that it eventually went away? Also can anybody suggest any supplements or other things that help? I will be mentioning this to an ENT when I go for a follow up appointment regarding my throat, but that will be at least a month away and I'm not sure I can do nothing until then! I have seen a GP twice, I did try olive oil drops as there was some wax, and I also tried Sudafed decongestants, but with no difference.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Regards

Dan

2. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear that you have joined the tribe of tinnitus sufferers. Let me assure you though that you will be able to cope in time. From what you described you are going through the horrible panic phase that most of us have gone through (or are currently going through). Believe me, we understand what you are feeling and experiencing right now. You are not alone.

I can't address the ADHD medication as I've never been on it. It might be a good idea to discuss it with your doctor. He/she may approve of going off of it for a period of time to see if it affects the tinnitus.

As for other things, you said you suffer from anxiety. Are you on medication for that? Have you ever learned non-medication relaxation techniques? What is your experience with anxiety reduction?

It would probably be a good idea to speak with your doctor regarding anxiety and depression and also your sleep problems. This doesn't mean you will be on meds forever, it just means you may need help crawling out of this hole that you're in mentally. Trust me, many, many of us have been there. And many, many of us are now feeling better. So give it some thought.

I know it's hard to believe it right now but this horrible phase usually passes in time. You're in panic mode and your limbic system is telling you lots of lies right now about your ability to cope. Eventually you will find ways to get your limbic system to shut up.

We're here for you to lean on so hang in there buddy! (y)

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dan H

Dan H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Hi Zorro

Thanks for your reply, it is reassuring to know that people have been through this and got better. I think my main issue is I'm living in the past, finding it difficult not to think about happier times where I could not hear this noise. And this is probably not doing me any good. I'm also really trying to remember exactly when I first heard it. During my tonsillitis I was hospitalised for five days during which time I was given clarithromycin and metronidazole intravenously, and I am now fearing that this could be the cause. But I'm not sure if I first heard it before or after this, I initially thought I heard it before but then forgot about it while my throat was so bad but I'm doubting myself now.

My other problem is that today I noticed my other tonsil has now flared up which means it is likely that I will be scheduled for a tonsillectomy as I have had quite a bit of tonsil trouble in recent times. And so I will be fretting that either the operation itself or any medication I have afterwards will make it worse.

I have just bought some magnesium with zinc and Ester-C which I hear has helped other people. I hope that I will soon be able to accept that this is happening, because right now I can't!

I think you might have got me mixed up with someone else regarding the ADHD by the way!

Regards

Dan

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dan H

Dan H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Another thing I have found is that in certain environments, noise seems distorted to me. For example I was in a rather loud restaurant before Christmas and it was though all of the background noise was just merging together to create this rather unpleasant sound. I also found this to be the case in a pub while watching football. But strangely I have been to louder places such as a nightclub and not had this problem. Does this sound like a mild form of hyperacusis or something else?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dan H

Dan H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Just noticed I did not answer your questions regarding anxiety. I have in the past taken citalopram which has helped, and I did go to a GP yesterday and asked if there was anything I could take. She didn't want to give me anything in case it made the tinnitus any worse. I've never really tried any relaxation techniques.