New to Tinnitus, Glad I Found This Site

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Steveb, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Steveb

Steveb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/25/2013
      Hi everyone, it's very helpful that others going through this are willing to share their stories. Thanks you so much. The ringing started for me about two weeks ago, high pitched sort of like crickets or really loud fluorescent lights. Nighttime is the absolute worst, so tough to sleep. Went to the doc a week ago, fluid in the middle ear, prescribed Flonase and a decongestant, nothing's changed as of yet, but maybe too soon, and from what I've been reading really need to come to terms that it could very well be permanent. Seems hopeful that so many of you have habituated, doesn't seem possible, but I'm hopeful I can at some point down the road. . .

Steve

2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi Steve and welcome!
      At this point, you are only two weeks into this plus have a probable cause: fluid in your ears. Your symptoms very well could resolve. So I would not start contemplating a life with T yet. And if it should turn out that way, the vast majority can and do habituated.

In the meantime, sleep is critical to healing. And most people have trouble sleeping with T in the beginning. So I would not be afraid to ask your ENT for a short term sleep aid.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steveb

Steveb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/25/2013
      Thanks! I'm hopeful it will resolve, but don't want to get my hopes up too much. Took a Unisom last night and got a decent night
      sleep which really helps

4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Great, a good night's sleep makes a huge difference.
      I saw you also read ShiningStar's recent post, which really is a fantastic piece for newbies (which kind of includes me) and for a lot of other folks too. I, too, don't want you to have false hope .... although hope at this point seems appropriate for you. What I do want you to know is that, should u find T is going to be part of your life, there are many things you can do so that T doesn't define your life.

A lot of the docs, though, don't tell you this. They just say "learn to live with it." Gee, thanks. Should this happen, DON'T get drawn into their shoulder-shrugging world. Be your own advocate. Come back here and we will help you.

• Like Like x 1