New to Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by lucluc, Oct 30, 2017.

1. lucluc
      Fine

lucluc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone,
      So I've been hearing a high pitched ringing in my left ear for about a month now, and over the past few days my right ear has joined in. What's worse is that in my right ear, the ringing sounds much 'closer' (not sure how else to describe it!). I'm only 20 and have no obvious cause of the ringing, only that I got my brace refitted about 4 days before the onset of the ringing, I had a mild cold a week before and that i'm currently being tested for low cortisol. Not sure how closely linked these factors could be but that's all i've got!

My issue is that the ringing varies in pitch, and the majority of the time I can only hear it in one ear or the other (but sometimes both as well) so i'm constantly anticipating changes and unable to just tune it out. The environments in which the ringing becomes obvious are also unpredictable, in that I can hear it over loud noise in my bedroom, but it is barely audible on a quiet street or in a quiet library.

So far, my GP has checked my ears and told me the canals are inflamed and that there is slight fluid build up. But after a month on steroid sprays etc. it's only gotten worse! Im due to see an endocrinologist (about my cortisol levels) and have an MRI scan (from what i've read, it wont show much other than if a tumour is present). Is there anything else I should be pursuing?

Sorry for the long post, it's just that this ringing is really impeding on my final year of university as it's very difficult to concentrate with it. I've been having quite a stressful time (since before the onset, which i've read could also be a cause!) and with having a parent who is partially deaf and suffers from severe T, it's all making me very anxious. I guess the reason for my post is to ask if anyone can make anything of the information i've given as to what may be the cause of my T and if there would be a way of getting rid. All doctors have said really is to wait it out and see, but as you all probably know that's easier said than done! Especially when it's having an affect on my studies and therefore my future. Any help would be HUGELY appreciated, thanks!

2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello @lucluc, and welcome.

The fact that is is sometimes noticeable and sometimes not may be a good sign. But, based on your description:

may indicate that it is more reactive. I am not a doctor so I cannot diagnose anything, but I found that particular description interesting and think that may hold some key into your particular situation.

One of the best places to start is a post written by @Michael Leigh:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

This is a long one, but contains a wealth of information and should prove helpful in answering some of your questions, helping provide some guidance on coping mechanisms, and to provide some hope.

Where your tinnitus is fairly new, many people here have notices that, for those who recover and/or habituate, it can take up to two years, which I know sounds like a very long time, but it is far better than not recovering.

@Bill Bauer wrote the following post discussing studies that show a fairly high recovery rate from tinnitus https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/ , which I hope will provide you with some hope.

There is no indication that tinnitus is hereditary, and the fact that I have had it my entire life, and my identical twin brother has no symptoms, while antidotal, supports that hypothesis.

It seems like you are taking the appropriate actions at this time, and I would wait for the results of the tests you have scheduled before searching out other paths. But, in most cases it does clear up on its own, so the best course of action may be to be patient, which I know is difficult with constant, incessant ringing. But, try to hang in there, it will get better.

• Like Like x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lucluc
      Fine

lucluc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,
      I'll be sure to read the link it looks like a great overview page!
      It's great to know it may not be hereditary, as my dad has no clear cause for his T and I seem to inherit all of his less desirable traits haha.
      Your suggestion that my T may be reactive is a really good point, I've found that I often am awoken by loud ringing in the night if I use continuous white noise to fall asleep. However, if I use a noise that is set to turn off after 30 mins (i.e. I spend the night in silence after falling asleep) when I awake I can barely hear the ringing. I hadn't made the connection before so thanks! The whole point of this post was to see if others could see things that I was not and you've done exactly that!

4. w-drak
      Digging it

w-drak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I do not have any particular help or cure, but I can say that one month is still a short time and T can also resolve itself spontaneously (you can go through success stories). This information kept my alive during my first onset and keep me half-alive during the relapse. And my ENT said: the younger you are, the better odds you have.

• Like Like x 1