New Worries, Don't Want More Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by BobDigi, Apr 19, 2015.

1. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I have been coping well with my t since it started over 6 months ago. Last week I came down with a chest infection. My tinnitus seemed louder, still coped well with it.
      I'm over the worst of it. But yesterday I noticed my lower legs pulsating. Wasn't too worried. Had a quick look online, probably not a good idea. Found exactly what I have on you tube. Turns out it can be the first symptom of ALS, amongst other things. Being a worrier anyway I shouldn't have looked online. I will make a doctors appointment tomorrow. But in the meantime I am going down the road of extreme worry, anxiety and random breakdowns.
      The last time I was here, tinnitus started for the first time. Now I'm worried I have ALS, worried tinnitus will start and worried in general!

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, definitely see a doctor, if you have concerns.

My guess is that 99.99% of the people who self-diagnose ALS are actually suffering from acute hypochondria -- and I've been there myself!

Try to relax.

edit: to elaborate -- stress and anxiety can cause all sorts of bizarre physical sensations as a result of increased perceptual stimulus from pure attention. Meaning, the more attention you pay to any given nerve, the more data it seems to send. This is true in T, and with nerves in general. I've even seen fMRI studies demonstrating that attention activities increase neuronal firing.

3. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I've been in the exact same situation! Anxiety can csuse so many things like this, the same happens to me still when I get anxious. See a doctor to ease your concerns still, but you'd be amazed the amount of symptoms anxiety can cause.

4. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma