New

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by scgrits, Mar 6, 2016.

1. scgrits

scgrits Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hereditary hearing loss and serious ear infection
      Hello,

Hearing loss runs in the family. I've qualified for hearing aids for over 15 years but was getting by. Early January 2016 I got bronchitis (not new) and an ear infection for the first time ever at 54 yo. OUCH!! Well, it took out what was left of my "doable" hearing. 3 rounds of antibiotics, 2 ENTS, prednisone later the T is hear! Looking back I'm not sure my PCP believed me and wish I'd gone straight to an ENT and/or known to ask for prednisone. 1st ENT drained fluid, ear antibiotics, and later put in the tubes as the pressure and fluid were so painful. I truly couldn't hear a thing. My audiologist loaned me a hearing aid as I had a conference to attend--that was a life saver. The 1st ENT pretty much dismissed me even when I was still bothered by muffled sounds in one ear. I decided to get a 2nd opinion was then put on a round of prednisone. The T began to increase over time. Now the soft tinnitus is moderate. I'd never been awakened by it until about a week ago. Oh my! Well I certainly believe my increased anxiety increased the tinnitus so I backed off "googling" everything and stressing over it--better but not gone of course. White noise and ocean waves are my friend! Glad I love the ocean! OVer the weekend the "muffledness" seems to have gone--I hope for good! Today I've done more internet research and it's louder. I already take an antidepressant for anxiety but not sure it's very effective now..but certainly takes the edge off. I'll be discussing this with my PCP and ENT. I ordered hearing aids this week and look forward to better hearing and hopefully less T while wearing them.

:puppykisses:

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, scgrits, and welcome!

I'm so sorry you're experiencing hearing loss, and that the tinnitus has gotten worse. I know you're glad that the muffled sound situation has improved, and I hope for you that it is permanently gone.

Hopefully, the hearing aids will help with both your hearing and the tinnitus. Do the hearing aids also have masking capability? That will make a big difference.

We're glad you've joined the forum, and hope we can provide lots of good information and support to you as you go through this.

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      scgrits

scgrits Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hereditary hearing loss and serious ear infection
      Karen,

My audiologist says that most clients have not found the masking sounds helpful. I have found some on my cell phone to play at night and when it's bad but once I have the HAs I don't know how it will be. I'll keep you posted.