Newbie — Prednisone Makes It Go Away. Long-Term Options?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bullwinkle, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspect allergies
      Without going into a lot of painful detail. I get raging fire-alarm episodes in my right ear that also include pressure and a sensation of heat. They feel electrical. Steady sine-wave. Temporary loss of hearing.

Prednisone totally and completely makes them go away. However ENT does not want to use it more than occasionally and recommends diuretic, low-salt diet and patience.

I know Prednisone's side effects can be pretty interesting. I am 61. If one knows that prednisone works, but can't/shouldn't be taken permanently, what are the alternatives?

Thanks. Ask any questions you think are pertinent.

2. Rings-a-Bell

Rings-a-Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      Prednisone reduces my T too... but only at >=60mg per day. Too high for regular use. I have tried natural anti-inflammatory such as Omega-3 fish oil, but likely with limited success.

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Just a punt here: what about adrenal support to produce more cortisol naturally?

I've been using phytocort for another health concern. In the ASHMI study, it was touted as just as effective as corticosteroids without the side effects, with the added bonus of adrenal support.

Just a thought.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Bullwinkle ,
      I know a lot about steroids as need it due to my lungs.
      Even when I was on a 5mg daily steroid long term it was to much and problems started.
      I now take it daily direct into my lungs.
      Prednisalone is definitely not a long term treatment sadly .

love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspect allergies
      Thank you for your responses. As I said, there are a LOT of interrelated things that might be going on here. I don't want to get into all of them because I think they confuse me.

So, I have read only a little about adrenal support and adrenal fatigue but that sounds interesting in context.

I have been tracking when, where, etc, of these attacks. Which is how I can conclusively prove that they went away during courses of prednisone, and cam back within a few days of the treatment ending.

Another correlation that I have found is that the episodes tend to go away when I referee soccer games. Case in point would be yesterday. Before the game I had tinnitus raging in my right ear (8 out of 10). Heart rate was about 60-ish. By the time the game was 10 minutes old my heart rate was in the 130-ish range peak and my symptoms were gone. They have greatly diminished since then.

I and not a doctor but I have a working knowledge of medical terms and I am willing to learn more and study. It seems some of you think it's reasonable to look into "adrenal support" a term I had not seen before. What would that involve?

Thanks again.

6. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm not sure about occasional use of that steroid. I was on a 15 day course of steroid, and then DONE. I think it needs to be in the system to do it's job.

Next, I dedicated to use Flonase, which is a corticosteroid, and the label allows up to 6 months use. I used it for 2.5 months.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspect allergies
      Has anyone tried Phytocort as an alternative to prednisone?