Newbie... Advice?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kezza, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Kezza

Kezza Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post necrotising otitis externa
      Hi Eveyone, Just found this forum and want to share my experience and get some advice.

Back in 2010 I got a post op infection that went on for 12 weeks and eventually landed me in hospital for four weeks. I was diagnosed with necrotising otitis externa, a very serious bone infection which effected all the bones inside my ear, mastoid, jaw and part of my temple.

I was left with a constant vibrating tinnitus (a humming machine sound) but initally it was only noticeable in a quiet room. It took me a year or so to get used to it. However, over the last year or two it has become louder, to the point that I needed the TV louder and I could hear it even in noisy areas. I've recently had a hearing aid fitted and it has helped.

A hearing test has shown I have lost some lower tone hearing. But over the last few days despite the hearing aid my tinnitus has been a nuisance, louder again. At first I thought my hearing aid was faulty as my hearing keeps getting dampened for short periods, 20-30 seconds and then comes back clear again, plus as I've mentioned the tinnitus is now quite loud.

But I tested my hearing aid in my other ear and it's fine, no dampening of hearing at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? What could me making my tinnitus worse please?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Kezza ,
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      I would have your ears checked for wax build up as quite common wearing hearing aids....lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1