Newbie to Tinnitus and Need Any Help I Can Get

Discussion in 'Support' started by Enrique, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      Hello guys,
      My name is Enrique I recently experienced acoustic trauma from an indoor shooting range two weeks ago. I wore ear plugs but don't think they were in right. From that day I experienced tinnitus and hyperacusis. All I did the first week was develop anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts like many tinnitus sufferers. Then a week after incident I went to see and ENT. He said everything looked fine and he did a quick hearing test at conversational frequencies of which I heard well from both ears. He prescribed me a cortisone shot, peracetum, and ginko biloba. This past week my hyperacusis almost completely went away and the tinnitus seemed to get much better. I was less stressed but I still do have my panic phases were I start worrying about the future this is ruining my life. I have a great support system which is the main reason I feel I did not kill myself. I also have great girlfriend which has been there for me daily but I don't want to drag her down but really need her for emtional support and relaxation. I am now starting to worry again about the tinnitus but want to ignore it. I have one year left from college and it was my dream to attend medical school but I feel as though with tinnitus I won't be able to concentrate so I don't know if I should throw that idea out the door.

Well I am just rambling on about my experinece so far I am more optimistic but have bad days where I can't help but get anxious and depressed again. I have constant headaches and neck pains along with the ringing. Anyways, I really need your guys input. Any advice, ideas, help, ways to cope with it? Please guys I am in desperate need of help. I want to know what I can do to get my life back!

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Give it time. Try to relax. Download some apps with sounds to sleep to. Look into taking vitamin A, C, E and Magnesium as soon as possible. I think that supplement combo is used to help those with sudden acoustic trauma or are exposed to loud sounds such as soldiers, construction workers, musicians, etc...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      Thank you Jay! I'll look into taking those today. I am giving it time it just gets hard at times but I really appreciate your input.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Hey man, I have one more year of college (well, a year and one fall quarter) too and I know your pain. I got Tinnitus a month ago (prolly from a combo of listening to music a tad too loud, having very slight high frequency hearing loss from when I was a child, and ETD) and I'm still having a hard time with it. I did have a week and a half where my T was low or I had learned to ignore it or not think about it and I don't know what happened but this past week and a half has been a depressing struggle for me. I also have a boyfriend who I had only started dating 2 months ago (but I've known him for years) and then this happened to me and he has been very supportive. But to top it off I'm a musician. Looks like you and I are in the same boat. Hopefully things will get better for us.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      Hey derpytia, your story is really comforting to read. I read all these stories where many sufferers have habituated and I know eventually we will be there but at the moment it is definetly difficult at times. I have tried to ignore it and I am doing a better job at it but it is hard. Hope you continue to find the strength to carry foward as I try everyday. Let me know how things go for you.

6. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      Dear Enrique,

trust me, I know how you feel. When the T first started in 2007, it drove me crazy. I thought my life was over and that I would never be happy again. It took 6 months for me to habituate and I was able to completely ignore it for 6 years until recently (I took some medications that caused a spike and it's starting to settle down again...I'm working on my habitation for the 2nd time and slowly getting there!!)

Long story short: the majority of us do habituate after a while. The T is annoying but will not kill you. It is possible to have a normal life and you only can make that decision. You control your life not the T. It might sound unbelievable reading this right now but it's true.

By the way: I went back to University last year for a risk management degree and I finished it this April. I have T and I was able to concentrate fine, pass my exams and do the readings. Do not let T crush your dreams! Actually, try to live a normal life as much as possible, don't let T rule your life!!

You can do it!!

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Anne-Marie, from Canada

• Winner Winner x 1