Nicergoline / Sermion?

Discussion in 'Support' started by teacher34, Aug 10, 2018.

1. teacher34

teacher34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prescription megadose ibuprofin combined with noise exposure
      Does anyone know how to get Nicergoline (brand name is Sermion)? It isn't available in the US yet, as the FDA hasn't approved it. I've begun to really dislike the FDA as I've been on my search for effective treatments...

Is it available in Canada? Does anyone know if Americans with a valid prescription can travel to Canada and have the medication filled there?

Has anyone here been helped by Nicergoline/Sermion?

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      There are some FDA officials that make me totally understand the necessity of an eternal burning lake of fiery punishment.

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is listed in
      https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00699
      which is a Canadian website. Not sure whether this means that it is available in Canada.

Google the word "pharmacy" and the name of the Canadian city closest to you. The search results ought to provide you with a number of drug stores and their phone numbers. Call one or two of these pharmacies and ask your question. I am 99% sure that their policy is to Not fill those American prescriptions (I believe I already called a pharmacy in my town on behalf of my mom's American friend), but you will want to double check.

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Just curious as to why you are considering sermion?

are you thinking your t is a perfusion issue?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      teacher34

teacher34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm considering it because it's been reported to help some people.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      teacher34

teacher34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They had no problem approving the med that helped cause my tinnitus, but the med that might help treat it? Noooo...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Which med caused your t?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      teacher34

teacher34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Megadose ibuprofin prescribed by a podiatrist and promised to be totally safe. Not.

9. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Effectiveness of Nicergoline in Preventing Acoustic Trauma

Abstract

Background: In Thailand, military personnel attending the annual firing practice are at risk for acoustic trauma (AT). Presently, hearing protection devices have been approved to prevent AT. Furthermore, N-acetyl-cysteine or magnesium were proved to be beneficial for hearing protective effect. However, the study of the effectiveness of nicergoline on preventing AT is limited. The study aimed to demonstrate the effectiveness of nicergoline in preventing AT.

Methods: The study employed a randomized controlled trial design. Two hundred twenty-four participants were evaluated for general physical status, hearing threshold level and blood chemistry. The inform consent form was explained and signed, and participants were allocated to 2 groups. The study group (n=118) was prescribed nicergoline 30 mg twice daily for 2 weeks before the firing practice and 1 week after firing practice while the controlled group (n=106) was prescribed placebo. All participants had to wear the silicone ear plugs. The postfiring practice audiograms were measured within 48 hours. Aural symptoms (tinnitus and aural fullness) and the side effects of the medication were also recorded.

Results: The incidence of AT was detected in 14 ears, 10 ears from the placebo group ( p =0.075). The postfiring practice audiograms showed the average hearing threshold level of the study group significantly improved than that of the control group across all frequencies ( p <0.05). Moreover, the audiograms from the placebo group worsened at 250Hz and 6,000 Hz ( p <0.05). The presence of tinnitus and aural fullness in the study group occurred over a shorter period than that in the placebo group.

Conclusion: The incidence of AT occurred in both groups. The effectiveness of nicergoline from this study demonstrated reduced tinnitus after firing practice. Furthermore, the hearing threshold significantly improved in the study group.

Source: https://europepmc.org/article/ppr/ppr174971