NMDA Receptor Antagonist Question

Discussion in 'Support' started by bots, Nov 4, 2015.

1. bots

bots Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2015
      Hi All - first post on the site.

I recently developed t from a loud concert (about a month ago) and am scheduled to receive AM101 (or placebo) starting next week.

In my research on AM101 it appears that the side effects are minimal and generally short-term. I've been reading up on NMDA receptors and in addition to receiving the phantom t signal, they are also involved in learning and memory functions.

My question is this (for the more scientifically informed than myself): are there believed to be any long-term risk to memory, learning (or other functions) associated with AM101 or other NMDA antagonists? The available AM101 literature does not appear to describe any, but the idea of inhibiting a receptor that plays a role in learning/memory has me a bit concerned. I'm hoping that a bit of education on this issue will ease my mind.

Many thanks!

bots

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The risks of limited exposure are not very significant. This drug is a ketamine analog; ketamine is considered medically safe for children as a surgical anesthetic. I'd say that the overall risks from a tympanic injection are more significant than the risk from a single exposure to ketamine.