No Clue What's Going On: Could Clonazepam Have Contributed to My Tinnitus Getting Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cass, May 26, 2020.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cass

Cass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @grate_biff Controlling your Tensor Tympani muscle is something that some folks are able to do and others aren't for no discernible reason. It's kind of like how some people can wiggle their ears or curl their tongue and others can't - it's just something I happen to be able to do.

2. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      I see.
      That morse code tinnitus you are experiencing certainly sounds like TTTS.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cass

Cass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Could you expand on that a bit? I've heard of TTTS and I do occasionally get thumping/spasms in my inner ear but I was under the impression that TTTS was primarily clicking or thumping and not ringing.

4. pleasejuststop
      Suicidal

pleasejuststop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I take Klonopin at that rate, about 3 times a week. I didn't know taking it at that rate could cause a possible chemical dependency? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Klonopin has gotten me through some of my worst days and I force myself not to take it more than 3 x a week because I don't want a dependence, but I didn't know that was possible at this rate too. I really hope I can continue taking it at this rate safely. My anxiety is still really high and unbearable, but it was even worse before Klonopin.

Does anyone have any info on this?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cass

Cass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @pleasejuststop I have heard mixed advice about this. Common medical wisdom around the internet (alas, not the best place for medical wisdom) claims that it should be taken on a "regular basis" for no more than 4-6 weeks max. Defining "regular basis" is where you run into trouble though. Like you, I try to take it as needed rather than on a fixed schedule. Besides some slight rebound anxiety (and who knows if it's just my normal anxiety peaking unrelated to the meds) I haven't experienced any classic withdrawal symptoms after several days of cessation, which would lead me to believe that I have't experienced dependence. My GP personally said it shouldn't be an issue if taken infrequently but, again, I have read medical publications that claim the contrary. It's the old adage - talk to your doctor about it! See what they think. Sometimes what's right for one person is different from what's right for others.