No Idea What to Do with My Current Job (Requires Being on the Phone for Hours Per Day) — Help?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, Oct 20, 2016.

1. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, I am 28 and lost hearing in the higher frequencies in the left ear to 30-40db and the right ear only lost some at 8000khz, but it's still normal hearing range back in December last year.

My current job requires me to be on the phone about 3-4 hours a day. I do my best to make sure to keep the volume at lowest setting and not turn up. However, I made sure to switch headphones to only the good ear and keep volume at lowest.

I am just concerned I will lose hearing in my good ear even with these precautions.

Am I at any risk of losing hearing if I keep this job for another year? I am considering just quitting the job and going back to school full time for computer science (I just go part time right now).

I just don't know what to do anymore. Am I at serious risk of losing anymore hearing? Should I just quit my job?

Also, is there any serious hope of having a hearing lose cure hear soon? In the next 5 or 10 years?

I just don't know what to do, the hearing loss is what bothers me the most, especially with me still being in my 20s. People rarely lose there hearing this early. I lost mine over noise induced hearing loss though.

I just don't know what to do. Can someone help me?

2. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Ask an ENT or audiologist what is going on. In the meantime turn the volume on the phone down as far as you can and ask for a trial of hearing aids, preferabbly with a wide band for example the Siemens Primax 7px which goes to 12khz. I think Unitron might make one that goes to 10khz but I am not sure. Ask around to someone knowledgeable and don't let them try to sell you something you didn't ask for. If you need to quit your job do it but if you can get on FMLA and see if you have short term disability. You may want to go that route just temporary til you figure out what is going on.

3. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Relax. Breathe. I believe you're being paranoid. The fear of being deaf is affecting your work life. Do what you have to do for your money. If you wish, look for a different job. If you feel the money is good, stay at your current job. I probably have hearing loss from playing loud music in my ears since 8 years old. Finally caught up with me 2 months ago.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      If it was me, I wouldn't assume the worst and I wouldn't leave my job without first consulting with my audiologist or ENT. Having said that, I was faced with the same decision when my own ENT attempted to convince me that the stress of my job was causing my tinnitus to be as bad as it was. I didn't believe him for the longest time but eventually left the job (actually I retired) thinking it would help. As it turned out, it didn't!
      You're smart in recognizing the cause of your hearing loss and it sounds like you're doing the right things in preventing any further hearing loss.
      As far as choosing between work and school, of course that choice is up to you. Just don't make any hasty decisions that you might later regret.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So when can I realistically expect a cure for hearing loss? What can I do to prevent if from getting worse? I feel like the ear with the speaker is getting worse but dont really know. The ringing I think is getting worse in that ear where as I barely heard it before.

I just want a cure for the hearing loss. I dont care about the ringing, just cure my hearing loss without me having to wear some hearing aid in my 20s, sigh.

6. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Scientists are working on using stem cells to make more hair cells that aren't damaged. We should get a cure during your life time. I'm 15 with T so don't feel bad. I'm probably going to be completely dead at the age of 50. Just protect your ears and you'll be fine. Your brain needs sensory input so don't be over protective.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Well i think there could be something in less than 5 years.
      science is waaay too advance now a days.
      there are results of the genvec trials next years.
      and also kyoto university and Boehringer Ingelheim
      are delivering in 3 years their research and potencial hearing loss cure.

lets keep hopeful.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I'm on the phone constantly. It's not a problem. Get a decent headset and wear an earplug (musicians earplugs) under it. While some may say this seems paranoid b/c you can just turn the volume down - this protects you from conference calls where users are at multiple volumes, or if someone suddenly starts speaking much louder.

If the room is so loud that you need to make the speaker loud enough to do damage - I'd be more concerned about the environmental noise than the phone.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Anyone? I am just completely at a loss.

10. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I would personally quit this job because I know how bad long hours on the phone can be for weakened ears (and I could not bear it with my H). Even more if I had the chance to study computer science after that.

But that's me, maybe your ears are fine with the phone at low volume.

I'm sure we will see very interesting things in the next 5 to 10 years for hearing loss cures. Many companies will have completed their clinical trials by then, and we'll know what works or not. I believe we will have access to the first treatments in 10 years, even though they might not be perfect at first.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

@Mario martz , thanks for your response. Can I ask what they are researching Kyoto and Boehringer? Is it a hearing loss cure as well?

12. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @jdjd09

How loud is the environment while you do your calls ? Do you have your own office ?

If it's noisy - The best way is to wear good foam earplugs that cut the damaging high frequencies and then increase the headset volume until you can barely hear it so you can in effect control the sound and it won't be damaging becuase your ears will get the equivalent of 30 to 40db with very little environment noise

13. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016