No Longer Convinced My Tinnitus Is Entirely Noise-Induced

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rainbowsheep, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Rainbowsheep
      Cheerful

Rainbowsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, I suppose
      So. I have always just assumed that my tinnitus is noise induced due to the fact that I have been stupid enough to go to a lot of hard rock concerts without earplugs.

My tinnitus didn't appear after a concert though but appeared suddenly from a fleeting tinnitus experience that didn't go away.

Anyhow I have started doing some neck exercises to stretch my neck muscles as they are terribly tense because of my anxiety.

And I have noticed that they seem to help my tinnitus tremendously. Sometimes I have seconds of near silence and my tinnitus has dropped significantly in volume.

Anyhow I just wanted to share. I can't help but to hope that maybe this is the answer to silencing my tinnitus once and for all. It would be nice. But the lower volume is nice in itself!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    2. MuffinMan
      Alienated

MuffinMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, started the moment I woke up from a nightmare.
      Why only few people have T while almost everyone go to parties, concerts, gym classes or listen to music in earphones? Noise inducing seems to be the half of the story, the other half is unknown.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I'm been saying almost daily for a long time that stretching neck exercises do help tremendously. Are you breathing in and out while doing the stretching with shoulders relaxed?

Cerviocogenic somatic tinnitus (CST) is "present in 36 to 43% of the overall tinnitus population".

Up to 65 -80% of those with tinnitus have some physical tinnitus input.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_patients_with_cervicogenic_somatic_tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      I am convinced the neck and jaw are involved.
      Mine started after seeing the Dentist, but that was heavy on my neck and jaw and I was tense as always.
      My neck and jaw have always been stiff and tense from many years working at a drawing board.
      Would be good to know @Rainbowsheep what exercises helped you ?

5. MuffinMan
      Alienated

MuffinMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, started the moment I woke up from a nightmare.
      The thing is, how can you tell what type of Tinnitus you have? I have visited 3 ENTs and all of them didn't even use stethoscope to determine whether it's PT or T or subjective or objective, yes they are that incompetent.... how in the hell they would determine CST??

6. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Kelvin Your situation is the same or similar to mine - dental neck tension and jaw pressure. You were looking down at a drawing board and I was looking down for many reasons.

Correcting posture and no severe bending of head is important not only for the neck, but for the attachments of neck to jaw. Use correct posture for bending and lifting. Lots of posture instructions and videos can be found. Most will work, but focus on the correct ways to walk is also needed.

Stretching exercises need to be done carefully. Consult with a doctor who has your medical records and test results first.

Slightly warm your neck with a warm towel first. Sitting or standing with correct posture. Shoulders relaxed. Strong inhale breathing while stretching and lifting head up while expanding chest. Hold for 3 seconds. Then lower into a comfortable position while exhaling. Repeat 4 or 5 times. Cool neck after a series. Do this 4 or 5 times a day. There's videos for other methods.

I wrote a post earlier today on muscles that need attention. For your jaw, the digastric muscle skin pull (only skin) above and clear of the adam's apple will help jaw tension.

• Like Like x 1
    7. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      I've been thinking the same thing. Sure maybe it's noise induced, but my T is VERY somatic. If I stretch my neck/jaw/cheek I'm left with a residual static sound that lasts for about 5 seconds.

8. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Kelvin I have posted at least 40 articles that explains the cervical mandibular complex. I have also posted articles in association that would fall under: Branches of the facial nerve. They include the temporal and mandibular joints, mandibular nerves and muscles, zygomatic and buccal process. Tinnitus development from this starts from back and neck muscle spasms or tightness which can be caused from posture or forward head bending. If this happens then 95% of the time it will lead to the jaw. The jaw will receive added pressure when it's extended or in an open position. Not having the head rested properly on a headrest at the dentist is one cause.

If you can tell me about your dental experience and your general posture, I should be able to provide you with therapy from specialized therapy doctors. I have done over a thousand hours of research and have read thousands of highly professional medical journal articles on the cervical mandibular complex and facial. I have tried every vitamin and supplement and every therapy known. Only physical therapy doctors who have practiced for many years have patient data and treatment that will help.

9. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      What exercises or stretches are you guys doing?

10. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Wow.
      @Greg Sacramento you have been busy.
      Sadly the medical terms mean nothing to me.
      My dental experience was a normal one ( that i have had many times ) in a reclined chair with a dentist hoovering over me drilling into my back teeth. I am always tense at the dentist if I am being treated but I guess thats normal-ish. My dentist is great. HOWEVER after my last filling I ended up with T and H. Never had it before and only heard of it reference to ageing rock stars.
      Kind of you to offer advice but not much I can tell you filling was on left at rear and most of my T is Left. Its simply like the state of balance was disrupted and has not returned.
      My Chiro tried a lot of manipulation to neck, jaw and muscles inside my mouth but it had no effect.
      If I squeeze in on each side of my neck just under the boney angle of my jaw I can make it screech real load.
      If I tense my lower jaw I can make it quieter.
      Thats really all I can say my friend.
      Any advice is always appreciated.
      Hope your having bearable day T-buddy !

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    12. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Ah no worries @Greg Sacramento.
      Thanks for that.
      Useful information for avoiding the dentist...I sure don't want to risk any more dental fillings after the last one :eek::mad:
      I still think the dental may have been the "last straw" so to speak, as I have had a lifetime of neck and shoulder pain that would radiate into my face and jaw .
      Damned if I know.
      Hope Mr T is treating you kindly today my T friend

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Kelvin
      Same as with me minus my inner mouth nerve damage. Your filing probably is not causing T. It was most likely muscle spams of neck to the jaw as with me.

This could had also had straighten the c spine or bought the C1 C2 a bit out of alignment. This happening would not be the direct cause of tinnitus.

From 18 months of research I found 6 professional articles that explains what could have happened to us during dental. Head not relax on a headrest. Headrest not in correct position. Head bend forward when pressure was being applied to the jaw. Head tilting to the right.

These areas are always mentioned as cause of tinnitus from dental when the cause isn't from a treatment mistake that the dentist had made.

lateral pterygoid muscle - jaw
      anterior temporalis
      superficial masseter

superior trapezius muscle
      infraspinatus
      levator scapulae
      sternal SCM muscle
      splenius cervices
      splenius capitis *****

Splenius capitis treatment needs to be done first. This muscle - no other muscles other than a light gentle massage of the shoulders - the edge of the shoulders not the trapezius under the neck. This first method has a 50% of lowering tinnitus. Trigger point therapy of this muscle may help, but this article is important:
      https://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/pain/maxillofacial/splenius-capitis-muscle-syndrome

Besides this treatment a thin semi soft flexible mouth guard made by a dentist may help. This type of guard is similar to the ones that used to whiten teeth. It should be placed loose into mouth. It will tighten on it's own. You won't be able to really feel it and others will never notice it.
      Use correct posture.

After the splenius capitis is treated then maybe treatment to the muscles mentioned above such as the SCM. Neck tension leads to the jaw 95% of the time. In our case it did.

Article on filings - but this probably has nothing to do with your tinnitus.
      https://www.healingteethnaturally.com/index.php?q=drilling-filling-risks-damages-dangers.html

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    14. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      @Greg Sacramento
      Thanks again Greg.

Im no medic, but I recognise the names of a lot of those muscle.

As an architect I have had many years of neck and shoulder pain from first sitting at a drawing board 24/7 and now a computer.

In the past I have had many physiological treatments and massages and those names always come up !

superior trapezius muscle
      infraspinatus
      levator scapulae

In respect of the dentist I am always tense, but my head was well supported and I think straight.

I really think the dentist was just the last straw as i have had fillings before and had no effect.

Nearing three years in...I have also noticed when my neck and shoulder hurts badly then my T noise is raging.

I am going to try and find a decent trigger point massage therapist and see if it helps.

Thanks again my T friend.

Oh I also meant to say that my Chiro always says my problems are related to C2 C3 !!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    15. simon lovat

simon lovat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      does anyone get PT in certain places but not others? this is my experience, i get it when at my family home in scotland, but no where else. thoughts/comments?

16. Redocooking

Redocooking Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics possibly
      In buildings, even with windows open, I hear mine but when I go outside, it's barely noticeable at times. Maybe your T is triggered by some mental trigger from being in your family home? It might cause some sub-conscious thoughts to reemerge without you even noticing.