No Music for a While — I Have Tinnitus :(

Discussion in 'Support' started by calin, Mar 18, 2013.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    2. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13
      Man this is exactly how I felt in the beginning!

Fortunately I'm getting better at living with this every day so I'm able to mix and make music again.

Thanks for posting this Calin!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      You know Joel, I had you in mind when I came across this. Also, the few others here that are musicians!
      Nice that you are able to mix and make music again! It gives some hope to others like you.

4. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      I started playing piano again recently, regardless of whether the Tinnitus is at high or low levels. For me, whether I play or not is mostly about my emotional state. During tough times, I can't even look at the piano. Finally through such a period, I am not about to let the condition dictate whether or not I am able to receive the benefits of relaxation and expression through music.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Tinnitus was the reason I stopped playing French Horn years ago. I miss it. I probably should do it again and just put in ear plugs. I used to be pretty good.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      When you are doing things you enjoy, the tinnitus fades in the background. Go for it!

7. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13
      Thx again Calin!

8. Lisa Lindel

Lisa Lindel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2012
      I tried the musician earplugs and I didn't like them. My son was playing his drums and I felt they didn't do anything. I could hear him. Is this normal?

9. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      When the T set in I went nuts as most of have, I stopped playing for a month, I already suck so that it really didn't matter anyway but I did pick it up again but I adjusted the tones on my amps and my guitars to sound a bit higher in the freq range, made a difference to me anyway, but I still suck...tro those of you who have stopped ..restart it will help you cope, it did me anyway... OH yeah...NO FEEDBACK!!!!..ouch

10. sword&shield
      Wishful

sword&shield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been having tinnitus just for a few months but it's enough to understand precisely what it entails for any musician: feeling almost betrayed by the sound, utterly frightened at the prospect of worsening the symptoms by simply pursuing that musical inspiration we've always enjoyed.

That said, it's vital to fight back as much as possible. Keep composing, keep playing, keep deviating your physical and mental attention towards the products of your creativity. As Paul D wisely implied, letting this condition dictate what your artistic identity is, and especially what emotional reaction music can evoke within yourself, would be akin to unjustified self-destruction.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Even the big fat foam ear plugs if inserted correctly into the ear canal at best filter out at best 30 decibels of sound. Unless you had some moderate hearing loss, I would expect you to be able to hear things decently still, even with them in.

12. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes you are supposed to be able to hear with musician' ear plugs. These are kinds I use and good information and charts on how musician's ear plugs work.

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/erme.html

13. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13
      Hey Erik did you get the 25db inserts or the 15's? I just got mine (from a different company) and got the 15's ... it doesn't feel like much protection at all and I'm a little worried to get in front of an amplifier with them (the doc was out when i picked them up so i could not get more info)

I'm thinking about getting the 25 inserts just in case but it's another $80 (after spending $175) so i thought i would check in here first to see if anyone has 25's .. feedback etc.

14. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hey Joel, I got the 15's also and haven't had any issues. Been to loud bars, movies etc and had no problems. I still would stay away from speakers or source of noise as much as possible. So far they have been great for me.

15. Lisa Lindel

Lisa Lindel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2012
    16. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Great Lisa! Yes I also have the ER20's They are most affordable and work well. If you have smaller ear canals definitely get the standard size :)

17. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13
      Thanks Erik! YEah I've learned to get a better seal now by twisting them in a little. They seem to be doing their job.

I guess i really need to stand in front of my Amp with an SPL meter to see exactly how load my normal stage volume is. Then if the 15's can bring down the DBs to below 80 I should be ok. Otherwise i might need to get the heavy duty inserts.

Playing live shows would make it impossible to stay away from sound sources like speakers ..etc.

Thanks again!