Noise Bothers Me, However Only at an Emotional Level — Is This Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      When my tinnitus is bad, I get annoyed at certain sounds. No pain or discomfort, just a higher awareness of sound and an annoyance at it but at a 'that's getting on my tits' level... Is this a form of hyperacusis or me just being overly sensitive jerk?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Can someone help me out?

I'm confused as to whether or not I have a touch of hyperacusis?

Since my tinnitus went pear shaped in October, thanks to a powerful acoustic piano, I have become acutely conscious that I don't want to cause anymore damage to my hearing and I have consciously taken to protecting my ears during certain events. Please note I do not experience any physical pain or distortion of sound.

I avoid these types of sounds because it annoys me on a personal level. So sounds like:

- Emptying dishwashers and general kitchen sounds like metal on metal or glasses clinking together
      - Heavy traffic noise like buses passing close by and their hydraulics letting out that hiss
      - Sudden exaggerated sneezes, especially by ladies
      - Loud people who you can hear talking from 30 feet away

Most these noises are high pitched and my tinnitus is high pitched too. I'm ok with low frequency hums etc

Is this hyoeracusis, or just me being paranoid? I have to add I have, as far back as I can remember, even before tinnitus, hated the sound of people munching and slurping food.

3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yes, this is hyperacusis. Certain sounds can be annoying, but not necessarily dangerous and spiking T. I can't stand leaf blowers that are a block away, and need my earplugs to stay outside with that going. Damn annoying!

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      upload_2019-4-20_19-20-38-png.png

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Even just annoying me at personal level?
      Surely that means lots of people have it... nails down blackboards, babies crying etc?

It's just an emotional response in some instances?

For me its a dislike of certain noises....is this not more like misophonia?

I've always hated others chewing noises; teeth clunking together and I tend to wear earmuffs if I'm stacking the dishwasher, like I say not because it hurts I'm just worried that high pitched clang frequency is similar to a piano and I don't want to damage my hearing i.e. I'm trying to preserve it.

Plus my hearing test results recently hadnt changed since 2015.

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Hearing test cannot really measure subtle changes, which is what matters in the long run. ENTs are telling people who are tone-deaf that they have fine hearing.

7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      What you describe is hyperacusis, and while it can be direct pain from noise, in other cases it can be more of a discomfort, and even on an emotional level.

I have read other users that have difficulty with clinking glasses, silverware, and dishes, and need hearing protection to do the dishes. I have not experienced this, but have experienced discomfort with more lower frequency sounds, such as loud vehicles, and lawn equipment.

One day it was quite striking as I was outside, with no hearing protection, and enjoying the sun and the sounds. I was fine for almost an hour, and then my neighbor across the street turned on a vacuum to clean his car. I was pretty far away, but that sound instantly annoyed me, and I could not wait to go inside as it was so uncomfortable, although not objectively loud as I was plenty far away. Once I got away, the discomfort stopped instantly, so I know exactly what you are talking about.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      But when you say discomfort @Digital Doc you're talking emotional discomfort, not physical. Is that correct?

If so, then is Hyperacusis, in this regard, more of a mental thought process affair?

9. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yes, more emotional, and no physical pain.

10. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hypercusis is emotional but also noise induce pain which can trigger physical pain. What you have might have is misphonia which is more a emotional annoyance and reaction to sounds with no real physical pain.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I think I've been developing a bit of phonophobia in that I get anxious if I'm around certain sounds or I know certain sounds can happen like today in a supermarket there was a few toddlers and their high pitched screaming, which made me want to get out the supermarket as fast as possible.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      So - big question is how do I overcome it, whatever it is?

13. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Whether it is misphonia, phonophobia, the treatment is likely the same. Treat the underlying issues which are the fear and triggers because you cannot really treat the condition directly itself.

Answer these questions for yourself - Why do you have the fear of a potential sudden sound? What do you think will be the result of it? Do you think it is permanently harmful to your hearing and health? Question why, then rationalize why you have this negative response and what are your trigger?

Duke Webinar: Current Misophonia Research

• Like Like x 1