Noise-Induced Hearing Loss Mechanism Discovery

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Veita, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Veita
      No Mood

Veita Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from Headphones
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      From the article:

The scientists then set about investigating the physiological causes of this phenomenon. They observed that in mice without pejvakin, the auditory sensory cells are damaged as soon as they are exposed to even seemingly harmless sounds - the equivalent of a minute spent in a nightclub for humans. These cells need two weeks of silence to become functional again. With prolonged or repeated exposure, the cells eventually die.
      I don't think anyone can say that the arbitrary 85 dB for 8 hours noise exposure is safe for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. liquefact
      Balanced

liquefact Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      At last humanity is developing some insight into noise induced hearing loss happens. Seems as well vital to understand noice induced T. Encouraging.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Veita
      No Mood

Veita Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from Headphones
      I agree, it's so nice to see how hot this research topic is at the moment. In fact, all of this auditory stuff has been exploding with research over the past few years. This article is particularly interesting to me though, as I was exposed to a "safe" level of sound which caused my hearing issues.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. liquefact
      Balanced

liquefact Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      My friend, we're all frustrated at times; when T is fresh on someone, when we have spikes, when it's loud etc. The other times when i've calmed down, i can clearly see that we're much luckier than people in the past that had T in their lives. There were no HOPE at all, nothing. Just the "You need to learn to live with it" from the doc.

Right now, multiple companies, universities and science people are working on the issue. At least people have some choice (like rtg, keppra, other supplements, clinical trials etc) that can help when we're desperate and keep our hopes high. Not to mention TT. And it'll happen, they'll find effective treatments, i'm sure.

Thank you to point this article out.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
      will this help people who have T induced hearing loss ?

7. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      The article says nothing about a cure for hearing loss. There is no mention of tinnitus. If anything, it even complicates things even further. If your DNA says you will develop hearing loss easily then you are pretty much screwed.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Veita
      No Mood

Veita Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from Headphones
      Personally, I find this article very encouraging. I had been wondering why my hearing was so easily damaged compared to others, and the results of these studies provide some answers. Now I have a better understanding of the source of the problem, and I have hope in the humans working to fix the source.

This is positive news, because before this, it was not known that this gene was responsible for early onset hearing loss. Now, scientists know the function of the protein this gene encodes, and they've identified and named the protein (Prejvakin). This is a big step, because problems are very rarely fixed without first identifying their source. Here's a quote from the end of the article:

"The scientists will now look into possible techniques to restore the function of pejvakin, particularly using gene therapy, which has already proved successful in conserving hearing in mice lacking in pejvakin, even when they are overexposed to noise."

• Like Like x 2
    9. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      This will likely not reverse hearing loss. Just prevent more damage to be done. It's something I guess.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Veita
      No Mood

Veita Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from Headphones
      Yeh, it's more of an otoprotective article, but in reality all of these topics are deeply related. Research like this might be easy to shrug off, but this team has been working on this for years now (since at least 2006), and it tells us that once hearing loss is restored, the cause of the hearing loss may be fixed as well.

11. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      Possibly as a first step they may manage to prevent further damage. This will mean that there will be no more hair cell inflammation which may be the reason why we have spikes and bad days. Thus, preserving more damage, may lead to Tinnitus reduction. Having only good days is quite a welcome outcome to say the least! Not to mention they will not stop to that and possibly find a way to fix dead cells by then.
      You cannot know how our organism will react tinnitus wise to such a differentiation. Perhaps it is massively affected for the better, even if the hearing is not restored.
      Having only good days and reactive T gone, is quite a dream for all of us I think...

12. wizman

wizman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1987
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      The article in french is mainly about a genetic disease where pejkavin is not produced . As a consequence the ear is not protected against noise.
      I dont see any relation to tinnitus or hearing loss.

13. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I assume you mean that you don't see this helping people who already have a hearing loss?

Article has plenty to do with hearing loss...

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. wizman

wizman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1987
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      It could help People with this disease and also help thé inderstanding of hearing mechanism..........

15. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma