Noise-Induced (MRI Scan) Tinnitus, 7 Months Later I'm Still Very Worried

Discussion in 'Support' started by Karin Andersen, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Karin Andersen

Karin Andersen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      january 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tinnitus after MR scan
      Hey.

Well today is 7 months since I got a very severe tinnitus and hyperacusis.

I'm still very worried.

There haven't been any improvement at all.

I saw my ENT yesterday and she told me that the recovery should be at 6 months. I really feel no hope any more. It's too difficult to live with.

Screaming hissing spikes 24/7.

Will it ever stop. Or at least Calm down.

It's noise related. After an MRI scan.

Have any of you guys got severe tinnitus. And has it got better in time...??

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hello Karin!

It's tough to say if or when the T can improve as it is very individual.
      For example, I would classify my T as medium loud, but for someone else it can be either mild or severe. It is very subjective and hard to measure really. Have you taken the tinnitus test that sort of give you a pinpoint on the severeness? As we are neighbors (I'm Swedish) I would assume we have similar ENTs and health care. I did mine when I did my hearing test and the doctor said I got it ranked a bit higher than she thought but then again, I was really distressed and only had T for just over two months. I would probably not rank as high today as I have learned to live with it and habituated. Maybe it is the latter that you might be struggling with now? Usually the ones that are lucky with T either improving or disappearing, they are not hanging around here. We here are the ones with T that haven't really improved or somehow suffering from worsen T. It is not to scare you, but just so you are aware.

Sometimes, hope that it might be gone or improving is really the thing that make the T feel worse. It might sound very weird, but in the beginning I woke up everyday hoping it would be gone (this was the first week after T) and every morning that I woke up and realized it was still there sent me into despair and extreme anxiety. After the first week, my gut feeling told me that T was permanent and I stopped hoping. Not that I just gave up, but I accepted that this was something I had to live with but it would be a great thing if it did go away. I get the feeling that you have relied on what the doctor said about "recovery within 6 months" and that might have had you clinging onto to that fact without really going through the acceptance phase?

To learn to live with it takes time, sometimes a lot of time and that is natural. It took me nearly a year before I could stop panicking every time my T spiked (I still get a bit of panic but less than before) and just "live with it". Hope this helps, sorry that I can't give you more answers or good advice than this. Take care!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I have read that you have up to a year for it to get better. BUT, if it doesn't, you still have plenty of time to habituate. Meaning that you brain will change and not care anymore. I am at my 2 year mark, and it took about 1.5 years for spikes to happen less, meaning I could handle more sounds without spikes, and for my brain to change so that I don't care as much as before and cause stress. So you are only at 6 month, so feel comfort in that you have plenty of time to see improvement. I hope this gives you hope and strength. It can absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, still get better.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Recovery ranges seem to vary. I know that everyone seems to quote 3 months and then up to 6. Then state that if you see no improvements within 1 year you're doomed. One paper I read stated 1 to 2 years.

I've been asking around online and in "real life" and one of my uncle's war vet friends stated he had it severely for 15 years, then he woke up one morning it was gone. Claims of five years, one, two, and so on. Really I think T and H are so unpredictable you simply don't know. Trying to put anything on a time table is bad.

The lady down the way said her's stayed the same for 4 years and then suddenly in a couple months it slowly vanished.

My issue was that I heard about the 3 month and then 6 month thing. I was on my way into my 4th month and my T was so quiet and almost gone. Then all hell broke lose and I felt so betrayed and worried. When my 6 month mark came along I went through the same despair and disappointment.

However, I do know some things have improved now that I'm not concentrating so much on a time table. I've also noticed the spikes last shorter and so on.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Karin,
      How are you?
      Are you better?
      I'm asking bc I have the same case of you. I have T and H after a MRI scan. My exam lasted 2h and with no appropriate hearing protection.
      I'm looking forward hearing from you.
      Sincerely,

Tamara

6. Anitajog

Anitajog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes the brain helps you ignore the ringing. I've had it for almost 9 years. It didn't start until I was 51. There are days when I'm driving a lot or active doing things with lots of background noises with people talking, etc. that I don't hear the ringing at all because I'm distracted with other things going on. Those days are great breaks from the ringing. Like right now typing I hear the ringing but it doesn't bother me. My health could be lots worse.