Noise Induced Tinnitus and SSRI Antidepressant

Discussion in 'Support' started by gebora, Nov 9, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. gebora
      Dreaming

gebora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi everyone

I would like ask you about yours experience with SSRI, especially if your tinnitus is noise induced or caused by ototoxic meds.
      I got T before 3 years on concert. After then i started with antidepresant-amitriptyline and my tinnitus went worse. I got vertigo and multiple tones in my ears.
      Please, can i get advice from people, who have similary origin of their T, if SSRI does permanently worsening of their T?

Thank you

2. Mahr
      Tired

Mahr Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably hair cell damage
      Hi gebora,
      I've been taking a SSRI for a couple of years now. I could not say that taking this med has increased the t. What does increase the t is the fact how I feel at that moment, a mindset. If I feel ok the t behaves, if I don't it bothers me a lot. So I try to rest at certain moments doing exercises to relax, I try to distract my mind from the t, I listen to soft music, things like that.
      And I started therapy; CBT, which can help me to change my mindset. My t will not take over my life!

3. Elinor
      Cold

Elinor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, flights, ear infection, colds.
      I was on citalopram/celexa 20 mg a day. I used the medication for a whole year and experienced absolutely no worsening. I would say that citalopram is safe. :)

4. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Amitryptaline and nortryptaline are AD's that can help reduce tinnitus for some people ....lots of love glynis

5. Naomi c

Naomi c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ssri
      I got t from taking aropax.... paroxitine...ssri ... two years ago ... i only took it for 2 weeks ... id highly recommend staying the hellaway from that one