Noise-Induced Tinnitus with Perfect Hearing — Any Evidence It Is a Brain Issue?

Discussion in 'Support' started by GBB, Nov 9, 2020.

1. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I know audiograms are flawed and hidden hearing loss is a thing, but I'm just curious whether the theory that the problem lies in the brain *independent* of the ear holds water. The way I've heard this described informally is that exposure to loud noise either causes a change in the ear, or a change in the brain itself, wherein even upon cessation of problems in the ear, the brain has internalized a processing disorder. That being said I've never seen experiments showing this, but I'm far from an expert.

To be transparent, I have a personal interest - my tinnitus is pretty atypical based on what I've seen described here - it changes hour to hour, day to day, tonal to atonal and vice versa. I literally cannot tell you what my tinnitus will sound like tomorrow even if I have money riding on it. The only way I've thought this could be explained is something brain-related, since most people seem to have a fairly stable sound for the duration of their experience.

2. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have always read that loud noise causes change to the ear first, then the brain as a consequence.

Never heard or read of changes in the brain only due to noise.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I guess my fear is that even if we change the ear back, we can't ensure the brain will follow, or that for someone like me without clear hearing loss, maybe I have a brain issue. I'm just taking a faith based approach that one day if my ears can be helped with medicine, I can reduce my tinnitus... I know it's all I can do, but I'm just seeking some additional info out of stress I guess.

4. Alfred87

Alfred87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/9/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      For me tinnitus is making my brain more sensitive.

5. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      The brain is neuroplastic in both directions. What can be learned can also be unlearned. Regenerating the cochlea for those of us with noise-induced tinnitus will be enough to kickstart the brain to resolve the tinnitus noise since the gap will be bridged. Of course, this is assuming your tinnitus was caused by noise, and most of us can only speculate. I imagine mine is both noise-induced and cervical, but the H is definitely noise-induced.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes of course, I wasn't implying it doesn't :) My answer was more directed to the link between external sound (as in dB) and brain damage.

Of course, tinnitus has an impact on your brain activity :) This has been shown by fMRI. But tinnitus could be more compared to an electrical dysfunction, not really as "sound", even though it can be extremely loud and intrusive.

7. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Sounds like mine and I've had it going on 10 years.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I wanted to say that short of having quieter tinnitus, I like that mine changes. The idea of listening to the same sound day in and day out doesn't sound appealing.

• Winner Winner x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Personally I think it may be easier to habituate to something unchanging, but you're right, the flip side of that is oppressive interminability.

• Agree Agree x 1