Noise Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Support' started by Brooklyn NY, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I've had the condition since November, and have had an increased sensitivity to loud noises, especially high pitched sounds. It affects everything I do. I need ear plugs when I go outside, and in all noisy public places, stadiums, restaurants, museums.

At this point indoor shows, concerts, sport events are all impossible to go to. I am even starting to use mouse reducing headphones as well.

Needless to say, this is s horrid inconvenience to say the least. Is this unusual for a tinnitus sufferer?

Thanks everyone..

2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      This could be hyperacusis. From what I've read about 40% of tinnitus patients also suffer from sensitivity to sound.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brooklyn NY

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks very much. I will do some research on this.

4. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I had this after an accident involving an ambulance siren .

After this I began to become sensitive to high pitched noises. I believe that's what you have maybe a little worse.

At the start of this any car brake would just cause fluttering sensations in my head. Thankfully I am in a better place two years later and I can almost handle all car brakes , I believe you will improve too.

My advice to you is to cut out headphones permanently ( I miss them too!) As take a break in loud places like clubs, cinemas e.t.c.

5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes it is. And no, it's not unusual. It may be unusual for people with the garden variety or mild tinnitus, but hyperacusis seems fairly common with people that have intrusive tinnitus.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brooklyn NY

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, I have had tinnitus for six months, and have noticed an increased sensitivity to sound. The real problems occur in noisy public places such as stadiums, restaurants, and subways. Concerts and movies I wouldn't even try at this point.

Ear plugs by themselves are not enough. Thank you very much...