Not Sure if Hyperacusis or TTTS

Discussion in 'Support' started by billhill4000, Jul 27, 2015.

1. billhill4000

billhill4000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/06
      Hello. This is my first thread and would love some feedback and advice. Ive had tinnitus since 06 and never used to bother me. Now i have bilateral sensitivity to noises. But its not painful. I did a hearing test and they check the loudness for which i tolerated well (up to 90db). So they think its not HYP. They did find however, very minor loss of hearing in high freq range.

So i am not exactly sure why i have noise sensitivity? It just seems as though my ears are constantly on "High Volume". Things that irritate are plates in the sink, knifes falling on the plate..that kind of stuff. Could it be TTTS, Hyp, or is it a symptom of recruitment?

2. Beessie
      Relaxed

Beessie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      21-01-2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? + badluck? Clubbing? IDK!
      Wondering about the answers.. I have the same problems as you have. I do think many Tinnitus sufferers has some form of it.

3. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hyperacusis is the amplification of sounds which seem too loud and sounds sound painful. If that doesn't sound like what you've got then you don't have it. Hope that helps. If it does, head over to this thread. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/levetiracetam-keppra-worked-for-my-hyperacusis.8946/

4. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      It sounds like mild hyperacusis.

5. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:

What do you mean you tolerated well the loudness up to 90dB? Did you do a loudness level discomfort test and did they tell you to tell them when a sound really really hurt you, to put your hand up? Do you mean something TTTS-like springs up at the sound startle, but if you drown it out with evened out sound it's not an issue? That's what I have, and I'm being told it's not technically hyperacusis. Only mine certainly is painful because I have it all the time. Mine is a muscle movement of some sort, and I guess it could be classified as a dull pain instead of as a sharp pain. But because I have it with practically all sounds at the startle point (but not at the loudness point), it is overall a very painful thing to live with. Do you think if every sound acted like the plates in the sink and the knives on the plate for you that you would classify it as painful?

Oh, and btw, knives and plates do have a strong startle quality to their sound, so maybe you do have my kind of startle-motivated TTTS, only that yours doesn't react to all sounds like mine does. Would you classify it as a thump that comes with a slight latency behind the external sound? Do you have both a constant high pitched tinnitus and a low rumble like I do?

6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      This is exactly my situation, and I've been told it is and isn't hyperacusis, or its misophonia, except when its phonophobia and maybe its intracerebral sex-change leprosy.

I see over at Chat Hyperacusis they are arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin again.

• Funny Funny x 1