Not Sure If It's Hyperacusis I'm Experiencing

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emily Lown, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Emily Lown

Emily Lown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection, Inflamed ear drum
      Does hyperacusis make you hyper aware of everything including yourself? Like I can hyper aware hear internal sounds? That probably sounds stupid. Thanks for any input.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Asia88

Asia88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      The first audiologist whom I reached told me that there is a condition often associated with basically just hearing yourself, your body working. No one knows why brain plays this on us, so yes, you can be hyper aware and start hearing internal sounds. Because human body IS loud :)

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      There's an idea called "Central Gain Theory" that hyperacusis and tinnitus are caused by the brain increasing it's internal volume to amplify the frequencies it has difficulty hearing due to nerve fiber and auditory nerve damage as a sort of natural hearing aid. As a result it will amplify the noises of the body such as the nervous system in my case.

Central Gain Theory would explain why I can actually hear my nervous system buzz during certain activities.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emily Lown

Emily Lown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection, Inflamed ear drum
      Like the ear that has hypercacusis, I can hear everything magnified more so on that side, jaw and everything, ugh, annoying.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Usually Hyperacusis is a sensitive to day to day sounds that you would normally be fine with.
      Tv,cutlery clashing,traffic,own voice,dog barking etc
      It is so important not let it become a phobia and build up time around the sound.
      Wearing ear plugs to cope can lead to being more sensitive and cause more problems.
      Sometimes treatment with White noise generators and counselling is needed in sever cases.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    6. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Wtf kind of advice is this.

Bodily noise hyperacusis is a feature in either Patulous Eustachian tube disorder or superior canal dehiscence disorder. Even this guy had a theory that involved inflammation of the membranes. Or it could be a sympathetic vibration of sorts.

7. dbth
      Probing

dbth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Headphones
      More claims for WNGs .. sigh. This place is a cult of bs.