Not @ the Van Gogh Level Yet but...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by nanner, Sep 4, 2013.

1. nanner
      Barefooter

nanner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      getting there. ;) Eeeeeeeeeeeee. Wow, just read some other intros...I need to add some details. I can pinpoint the night I 1st realized that I had tinnitus even though I didn't know what it was. I was 8 years old and it was the summer of 1979. I may have had it before that, but on that night it was so loud that I couldn't sleep. I never mentioned it because I thought it was normal and figured everyone had it. I suspect a prescription drug caused it, but I just don't know.

2. Jade
      Lucky

Jade Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics, Beats by Dre, Work
      Hello @nanner,

Wow at just 8 years old, that is truly devastating, very sorry to hear that you have had this pain in the ass from such a young age...
      How have you coped all these years? what do you do to distract yourself and over the years has it gotten any worse/ better, and if so what do you believed made it worse/ better?

Kind regards

Jade

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nanner
      Barefooter

nanner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      Hey Jade,

Pain in the ass is right. I've coped by surrounding myself with fans, air cleaners and stereos. I've rarely slept without some kind of background noise. Actually...I think I'm at an advantage because I can't remember not hearing the constant high-pitched ringing.

I want to be encouraging but I have to be honest and say that it has gotten worse over the years. It's been so bad lately that I had to sign up here for support.

I have lived a LOUD life though...

Thx for the hello!

4. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      have you had your hearing checked and what kind of dB hearing loss is there. Do you have any measure of how loud the tinnitus is in dB. right now mine has gone crazy through the roof, and I can easily imagine how it would be easy to end it all, except I am hoping to eventually become habituated to it.

5. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      I am really interested to know how much dB of tinnitus can be tolerated, because that might give me hope that I can somehow habituate as well.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nanner
      Barefooter

nanner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      The last hearing test I had was about 7 years ago and I was told that I have significant hearing loss. That was the extent of what they told me. I think any dB of tinnitus can be tolerated. Mine is drowning out my t.v. right now. Hang in there.

7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Nanner, curious if you ever have tried any therapies, treatments beyond background noise. Supplements? Sound therapies like Neuromonics? Medications.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nanner
      Barefooter

nanner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      Hi LadyDi,

I've tried every T supplement that's been put on the market and ear wax removal.

I also have taken every combination of vitamins and minerals you can imagine to try and lesson my T and it just didn't happen. I did have the most amazing lessening of my depression with vitamins and minerals, however, so I'm so happy with my research there.

I think I'm going to try acupuncture and maybe a chiropractor next.

I will absolutely look into Neuromonics, thanks.