Notched Music Therapy (DIY, AudioNotch, etc.)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Scarred, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Thanks man, I'll look into it. Always on the lookout for something new! I'm happy that you're tinnitus was down, that is fantastic news! :)

2. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Man I've learned so much in less than a week here ... this is great.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      either hearing loss or your speakers/headphones don't go higher than these frequencies.

4. Meestijn
      Balanced

Meestijn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thus another proof that even after +30 years T can be lowered (and not necessarily is settled in the brain pathways!). Good luck for you. What a Christmas gift isn't!!!

5. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      No joke Neenie, use that website. http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/. Keep it running in the background while you do work. My tinnitus is insanely high pitched (15 kHZ high pitched BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ) so I pull that bar all the way to 15 Khz, and then turn the sound off for the the higher frequencies (16402 & 20951) since I can't hear those anyways... no point in training the brain to hear notes that its not capable of hearing.

It has definitely had some effect on my brain. You can sit in absolute silence with that on low to mid volume and it'll be like that's the only sound in the room - no tinnitus. It's really helped my head snap out of the loop of hearing it, fearing it, hearing it, etc. Strangely enough, I have had periods of absolute silence (without that running) in situations where I should have heard my tinnitus, such as absolute silence + looking for it and not finding it for a bit of time... although it comes back as a HIGH pitched squeal (same as before) when I try hard to look for it.

Basically, the app does a great job at causing your tinnitus to either disappear or be muted when you listen to it. It makes your auditory system unable to play your tinnitus at blaring volumes in your head while it's running. It's very good as a therapeutic mechanism and frankly I've noticed some real improvement with my mood and attitude towards tinnitus as I have a "safety valve" that I can use to ease my mind. Considering tinnitus is such a hard thing to self evaluate, its hard to say if the improvement to the tinnitus volume is long lasting or not, but apparently that's what its supposed to do. We'll see if mine gets worse at some point :p

Oh, and don't freak out if your tinnitus increases slightly when you first start using it after you use it for a long session. It did for me. Glad I did not stop.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Thanks man! So first you attempt to find your frequency and then press the button ACRN?

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Sparks60

Sparks60 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1978
      Neenie, please watch this video and it will explain in detail to what ACRN is doing for you.
      Tinnitus Treatment - Causes and treatment of...

free version (this is what i been using with great results)
      http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. avt007

avt007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      So this is interesting (to me at least) I am finding it hard, as others have, to find my frequency. What makes it hard in part, is that after hearing a tone, my T almost disappears, and I have to wait 30 seconds, a minute, for it return, so I can compare the sounds again.
      Strange but encouraging. BTW, the frequency is somewhere around 10 khz.

9. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Ok, thanks man. So you basically work out your frequency then play the four frequencies they give. Can you only do that while you are sitting at your laptop or can you download them onto an mp3 player. And for how long? 2 hrs? How many days? And so this actually worked for you? Amazeballs!

10. Sparks60

Sparks60 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1978
      yes, you play the 4 to retrain, i use headphones about 4 hrs a day at work, i have to wear headphones in there anyway as its the server room and very loud. and yes i did record a 30 min track off the website and play it on my iphone at night in a loop while i sleep.

11. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Oh ok. How long before you noticed a difference?

12. Sparks60

Sparks60 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1978
      after 2 weeks i could tell it was working, i think we supposed to listen to it for 12 weeks if i understand correct.

13. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      OK great, So 4 hours a day?

14. avt007

avt007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sparks, what frequencies are you listening to? I tried playing them off the website directly using my iphone, but I can't hear anything. How did you get them into the phone?

Thanks
      Rob

15. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      I had trouble using it in Chrome. Had to switch to Firefox. Hope that helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Thank you Sparks this is very motivating! I will try post my experience soon..

17. Sparks60

Sparks60 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1978
      I sure hope it helps you as much as its helped me!
      also mine is at 3500 in the right ear and 3200 in the left ear.
      if i listen to the 3500 recording i can only hear 2 of the 4 sounds in my left ear.
      i just used sound recorder in windows with a speaker cable plugged into both the line in and headphone jack then started sound recorder. once saved i copied it to my iphone with itunes.

18. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      I can't find my frequency. It seems like every frequency above 4k is like it, but different in some way.

Is there anything to listen for when you find your frequency?

19. Sparks60

Sparks60 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1978
      i had a hard time finding mine also, make sure to use headphones, and cover 1 ear at a time, when you think you found it with the single frequency, click the play ACRN, if you dont hear 4 sounds, slide the bar back till you do hear all 4 sounds. at that point is where i used for mine.

20. avt007

avt007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I've tried Safari and Chrome, no luck so far. I haven't found Firefox for the iphone, it doesn't seem to exist.

21. Sparks60

Sparks60 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1978
      it will not work from the website on iphone for me either, thats why i used desktop computer and recorded me a 30 min track to save, and copy to iphone to play in a loop

22. avt007

avt007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I am on the road, but when I get back i'll try to find a program that will let me do that.

23. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Someone needs to make an app for this for android and IOS. There are online app creation tools to create IOS and Andriod APK's...wonder if they can work.

24. sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      If I'm reading all these posts correctly, it sounds to me like notched therapy, or any of the therapies talked about here only work if you hear one tinnitus sound and can identify the frequency. Am I correct? It's sounding like no sound therapy would work for me since I have multiple sounds in one ear and hear a completely different tone in the other :-(

I played around with http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/ last night trying to identify at least one frequency I'm sure I hear. I have a moderate hearing loss and it's worst in one ear than the other. I was listening through regular earbuds at first and I would have to pump the volume up very loud to hear some frequencies in my right ear at all. Today, my tinnitus seemed worse and I've worried all day that I hurt my ears with those earbuds and turning up the volume so high in my right ear. Like a dummy, it finally occurred to me last night to put in my hearing aids and use the bluetooth connection to listen to the frequencies which was a much better idea. Sometimes I don't seem to have the sense I was born with. Anyway, I hope I didn't hurt myself. I'm so sick of this tinnitus mess.

25. kevin b
      Fine

kevin b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      Has anyone tried Audio a Notch. Is this a principle of TRT?

26. avt007

avt007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I did a cheap (free) Iphone workaround. Go to the generalfuzz site and get your frequency playing. Download a free app called Audio Loop. This app lets you record audio, then play it in an endless loop. I held my phone by the speakers and recorded a one minute section.
      Now I have the acrn playing on my phone, and can take it anywhere with me. It worls with the Apple earbuds, and of course my Bose noise cancelling ones too.
      Now to see if it works for me..............................

P.S. I am trying this at very low volume, I think that's the idea?

27. rickycyh

rickycyh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Hi Champ,

I got the same experience as you, but i don't need to find the exact same frequency, for example, i have some hearing loss on 8KHZ (based on the audio hearing test, I can only hear 8KHZ frequency on 30DB (normal ppl should hear within 0-20), i set to 8KHZ, and listen ACRN, my tinnitus seems gone, after took off my earphone, the tinnitus come back after a minute..

I am still testing other frequency....

Rgds,
      Ricky

28. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Acrn works well for me. Only need 5-10 mins for a spike to settle.

29. rickycyh

rickycyh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Peter, glad to hear it works wells for you. Although it's not long lasting, but will try couple weeks to see if any further improvement.

30. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I just received at email reply from a researcher who has published on benefits of notched music. Study design of his paper I read partitioned participants into two groups; those with T frequency below/above 8 kHz. I will post or paraphrase his reply based on his stated permission to share.

• Like Like x 1